• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baskuenen

Metaballs - Normals

90 posts in this topic

This is really starting to get interresting. I'll look up your source in a few minutes Hans, it already seems promising.
Here's a few lines I use to calculate the force on my balls (the meta ones):

ForceGrid[ index ] =
MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE/((x-bx1)*(x-bx1) + (y+by1)*(y+by1) + (z-bz1)*(z-bz1)) +
MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE/((x-bx2)*(x-bx2) + (y+by2)*(y+by2) + (z-bz2)*(z-bz2)) +
MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE/((x-bx3)*(x-bx3) + (y+by3)*(y+by3) + (z-bz3)*(z-bz3)) +
MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE/((x-bx4)*(x-bx4) + (y+by4)*(y+by4) + (z-bz4)*(z-bz4));

Edited by - baskuenen on May 25, 2000 3:03:17 PM

So all you''re balls are the same size?
If you want different sized balls, you must do this:

C = center of ball
S = size of ball
V = The vertex who''s normal is to be computed
M = magnitude(V-C)

N = (V-C0)*S0/M0^3 + (V-C1)*S1/M1^3 + (V-C2)*S2/M2^3 + ...

And I calculated my metaballs like:

sqr((x-bx1)*(x-bx1) + (y+by1)*(y+by1) + (z-bz1)*(z-bz1))

but you have only:

(x-bx1)*(x-bx1) + (y+by1)*(y+by1) + (z-bz1)*(z-bz1)

So you''ll need different power that ^3.. I''m not sure what but ^2 felt good when I tested it
Wild quess: maybe now ^1 normalizes the vector and the other ^1 is like (1/2)*2. In the old formula ^1 was normalize and ^2 was (1)*2..
I originally came up with the algo before I even knew what vector is, and I just tested things...

--
MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE
--
But why do you square your balls'' sizes? If you''re going to use that formula above, you shouldn''t sqare the sizes or else you''ll need square root in the formula:

N = (V-C0)*sqr(S0)/M0^2 + (V-C1)*sqr(S1)/M1^2 + (V-C2)*sqr(S2)/M2^2 + ...

-Hans

I''m still looking through the overload of recent info.
Meanwhile I noticed the folowing:

Can''t Sqrt(x)^3 be described as x^2 ?

So after some radical algo optimizations:
N = 1/(V-C0) + 1/(V-C1) + 1/(V-C2) + ...

Am I getting this right?

If you want to use different sizes you get:
N = MB_SIZE/(V-C0) + MB_SIZE/(V-C1) + MB_SIZE/(V-C2) + ...

Please correct me if I''m wrong...

>Can''t Sqrt(x)^3 be described as x^2 ?

No, sqrt(x)=x^(1/2)
And so x^(1/2)^3=x^(3/2)=x^1.5, not x^2
Sqrt(x)^4=x^2.

But since you should use:

N = (V-C0)*S0/M0^2 + (V-C1)*S1/M1^2 + (V-C2)*S2/M2^2 + ...

And M = sqr((x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2)
M^2=(x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2 , which is quite fast to calculate and you don''t need sqrt() at all.

(and we''re back at the form that WitchLord suggested earlier)

Whether it is M^2 or M^3 depends on how you calculate the metaballs. (but you, baskuenen, should use M^2 because you don''t use sqr to calculate metaballs'' forces, read my earlier posts)

-Hans

Me = little bit stupid sometimes. You''re right! Optimized my amount of braincells a bit too much...
Good thing there are some sober people around!

But we optimized it!

Optimization is real important in my case, because I''m writing a software rendered runtime 3D animation of the metaballs. It''s still too slow (~20 FPS on PIII-450).

But you made a good point with metaball normal calculation.
- There is a better way -
(Although the "smooth surface normal calculation" topic was getting real interresting!)

I''m still implementing...hope it''ll work...

Thanks Hans and all of you guys!

I see that I''m not needed here anymore.

I was inspired by this discussion so I sat down to make my own Metaballs, 2 hours later it was working (I stripped an old program I had for marching cubes). After some tweaking with the numbers I actually managed to get them to look good as well. As of yet the code is totally unoptimized though so the performance is truly poor: 8.7 fps on a Celeron 500 with GeForce. (Impressive isn''t it )

- WitchLord

Did you really think you could get away with it that easy?

We are not done yet! At the moment my surface is smooth, and the phong is shining brightly, but it''s still not right!

This thread is finished when I say so
and only when an image of perfect metaballs is posted!

Fine by me

Now that I have gotten my metaballs to run at a steady rate of 105fps with perfect smoothness (at least as perfect as it gets with low detail) I'm willing to give you a hand again.

You might wonder how I managed to optimize from 8.7 fps to 105 fps. Well the biggest change I did was that I no longer compute the field energy if there are no balls in close proximity. This got the fps up to a steady 32 fps (367% increase). The second optimization I made was that I switched to release build, and voila 105 fps (328% increase).

Here's a screenshot of my metaballs:

(Image no longer available)

For the sake of this screenshot I increased the density of the energy field to 64*64*64 from 32*32*32 (lowered fps to 14)

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on May 25, 2000 11:25:48 PM

Edited by - WitchLord on May 26, 2000 11:45:35 PM

DAMN! that looks good!

Can you post that program?

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

Pretty please?

Ok, im not gonna crawl... (not until ive seen what the program can do anyways =)

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

Hey WitchLord or baskuenen, can you tell me where to find a tutorial on marching cubes? I tried to find one once, but all I found was blaahblaah and that it''s a patented algorithm (?).

-Hans

Yes, I've done it!
If you look up the previous piece of code I posted, you'll see - with x&z's and + with the y's.
I also saw it: very late . This was my problem with the implementation of the new metaball normals!!!

So I've done it, but still running 20FPS (100% software rendered).

Here's the screenshot:

Here's the demo: 3ddemo_metaballs.zip

(ps: Also improved my homepage a little)

Edited by - baskuenen on May 26, 2000 2:12:07 PM

Your metaballs are a whole lot more impressive than mine.

20fps in software mode, I think you should be proud of that. Have you tried the optimizations that I did?

What size do you use for you energy field? In my current version I use 48*48*48.

Could the smooth specular highlights be the result of Phong lighting? I had to turn off specular lighting on my balls because they looked horrible.

- WitchLord

Thanks,

I haven''t optimized the force grid yet. I was thinking about it, but have not come up a solid algo for this...I''m really interrested in your optimizations!

I must admit I''m using a 32*32*32 grid only.

And yes, I managed to implement a fast phong mapping algo. (It''s no OpenGL or DirectX - so you can cheat a little with this)

I like - you like it! You answering all my questions, and I never could answer yours, was starting to bug me.
I always said to myself: If you can do metaballs, you''re really good! Now I can do metaballs, and I feel good. If you can do metaballs like WitchLord or Hans: You''re also a superb programmer! Guru is the name here!

I''m just home - back from the cafe (burph) - Need some liquid now...

Well, I only made a simple optimization, yet the performance was increased by 367%.

What we must recognize here is that the only energy values that are needed are those that are really close to the surface of the balls. In my optimization I don''t compute the values that are too far away from any of the balls. It can maybe be optimized further by not computing the values that are inside the balls as well.

Anyway you can see my optimization in the source code, it is really simple so you shouldn''t have any trouble implementing it in your own code.

- WitchLord

WitchLord:
While looking through your code I noticed it looks simple and clean. Mine still is a bit messy with lots a pointers and stuff.

I''m not re-normalizing the added normals. Is this really needed? It will improve performance a bit.

Is there a precise threshold value for the energy field optimization?

Just for the record: Here''s my metaball vertex normal calculation source:

void __fastcall CalcVertexNormal(PVERTEX pVertex)
{
float x = pVertex->x;
float y = pVertex->y;
float z = pVertex->z;

float dx1 = (x-tx1);
float dx2 = (x-tx2);
float dx3 = (x-tx3);
float dx4 = (x-tx4);
float dy1 = (y-ty1);
float dy2 = (y-ty2);
float dy3 = (y-ty3);
float dy4 = (y-ty4);
float dz1 = (z-tz1);
float dz2 = (z-tz2);
float dz3 = (z-tz3);
float dz4 = (z-tz4);

float n1 = dx1*dx1 + dy1*dy1 + dz1*dz1;
float n2 = dx2*dx2 + dy2*dy2 + dz2*dz2;
float n3 = dx3*dx3 + dy3*dy3 + dz3*dz3;
float n4 = dx4*dx4 + dy4*dy4 + dz4*dz4;

n1 = MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE / (sqrt(n1) * n1);
n2 = MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE / (sqrt(n2) * n2);
n3 = MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE / (sqrt(n3) * n3);
n4 = MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE / (sqrt(n4) * n4);

pVertex->nx = dx1*n1 + dx2*n2 + dx3*n3 + dx4*n4;
pVertex->ny = dy1*n1 + dy2*n2 + dy3*n3 + dy4*n4;
pVertex->nz = dz1*n1 + dz2*n2 + dz3*n3 + dz4*n4;
}

Normalization of the normals are only needed if your lighting code requires it. For both OpenGL and Direct3D the
normals must be unit length, otherwise you''ll get strange lightvalues. If you try normalizing the normals, you''ll see that it doesn''t make a lot of difference to the performance.

I noticed that you have an extra step when computing your normals:

n1 = MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE / (sqrt(n1) * n1);

Is this necessary? Does it give you better appearance of the lighting?

The threshold I use in my optimizations is the distance from the center to the surface if all balls was on the same spot.

- WitchLord

Well I tried adding that step in the normal computations myself and it does look better. I also tried with this:

n1 = MB_SIZE*MB_SIZE / (n1 * n1);

And that does also look right. So which is it? I''ll have to do some testing, I''ll add some user interactivity to my program so that I can do some tests.

- WitchLord

I''m using this extra step for some optimization.
I''m using floating point:
- FDIV costs 17 instructions
- FMUL costs 3 instructions
This is not entirely right, because floating point functions can be interleaved with integer functions, but thats not the case in this function.

If you are going to divide multiple numbers by the same value, it''s better to divide once, and then multiply the rest! If optimized in assembly the FMUL''s clock count could be reduced to 1, and can interleave each other! (the FDIV''s cannot) But that''s all another topic, and you probably knew most of it.

So the extra step is for optimization only.

> The threshold I use in my optimizations is the distance from the center to the surface if all balls was on the same spot.

Good point, that''s the threshold!

Then: If you want the minimal value for a metaball optimization: use the distance from the center to the surface if just one ball.