• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baskuenen

Metaballs - Normals

This topic is 5763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I see that I''m not needed here anymore.

I was inspired by this discussion so I sat down to make my own Metaballs, 2 hours later it was working (I stripped an old program I had for marching cubes). After some tweaking with the numbers I actually managed to get them to look good as well. As of yet the code is totally unoptimized though so the performance is truly poor: 8.7 fps on a Celeron 500 with GeForce. (Impressive isn''t it )

- WitchLord

Advertisement
Did you really think you could get away with it that easy?

We are not done yet! At the moment my surface is smooth, and the phong is shining brightly, but it''s still not right!

This thread is finished when I say so
and only when an image of perfect metaballs is posted!

Fine by me

Now that I have gotten my metaballs to run at a steady rate of 105fps with perfect smoothness (at least as perfect as it gets with low detail) I'm willing to give you a hand again.

You might wonder how I managed to optimize from 8.7 fps to 105 fps. Well the biggest change I did was that I no longer compute the field energy if there are no balls in close proximity. This got the fps up to a steady 32 fps (367% increase). The second optimization I made was that I switched to release build, and voila 105 fps (328% increase).

Here's a screenshot of my metaballs:

(Image no longer available)

For the sake of this screenshot I increased the density of the energy field to 64*64*64 from 32*32*32 (lowered fps to 14)

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on May 25, 2000 11:25:48 PM

Edited by - WitchLord on May 26, 2000 11:45:35 PM

Pretty please?

Ok, im not gonna crawl... (not until ive seen what the program can do anyways =)

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

Hey WitchLord or baskuenen, can you tell me where to find a tutorial on marching cubes? I tried to find one once, but all I found was blaahblaah and that it''s a patented algorithm (?).

-Hans

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!