• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voodoo

Terrain movement.

This topic is 6914 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To give the illusion of making the terrain move, we bassicly move the camera around right???

Advertisement
Not necessarily. I created a terrain engine for pr, where the terrain poly does not move, nor does the camera.

Instead, a height file is used and based on your position in the height file the terrain mesh adjusts its vertices and textures, etc. So movement in this engine is really just moving a file pointer in a map file. Although it appears that the world is actually moving because the terrain is re-meshing itself.

I've been toying with it and it is really nice because there is no map size limitation, the portions of the map that are nearby are cached so no noticable HD access or map load times are apparent.

Gary

Edited by - Gary on May 19, 2000 5:34:53 AM

How do you handle turning left or right? Do you remap the texture coords every time, or do you read that data in as well?

Sounds really cool. MAybe we can use this in the joint effort project!

Is your source open??

We''ll as for turning I guess that the camera does move some, it always rotates around 0,0,0 but I use the target mode and the target always points to 0,0,0.

The engine is actually designed to provide a view something like Ultima 8 but with a 3D rotatable zoomable camera. The terrain mesh is sized slightly larger than the screen at max zoom to prevent any unnecessary rendering while allowing the user to safely rotate the view 360 degrees around the target. So, it may have been misleading saying that the camera doesn''t move at all, it does rotate in a circle up and down, left and right, as well as zoom, but the target is always the same.

I wanted the rotation, zoom, etc to be independent from player map movement and that''s what I have developed.

I don''t think it would be very useful in the PR joint project as it is designed as more an overhead, Ultima 8, type engine. I''m currently using and developing the engine for a game of mine, though when the terrain engine is in a more finalized state I''d be happy to release some of it''s code.

Gary

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!