• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VisualLR

Good 3D book.

This topic is 6914 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I''ve been wanting to learn 3D for quite a while now, and Ive learned a bit from the DX7 docs, but not enough to get me started on a simple yet educative 3D engine... I also have a couple of books on 3D, but they''re kinda old, so they dont help much (Black Art of 3D Game Programming by Andre LaMothe and Cutting Edge 3D Game programming with C++ by John DeGoes), all I''ve really got from this books is theory on general 3D... I want a book that will help me learn more specific about writing a (modern) 3D engine... so I was wondering if you can suggest a good book... Keep in mind, that Im not a beginner programmer, so I can handle a more advanced book, not a "3D for morons" book, cause that probably wouldnt help as much... I am aware of the almost-released "Advanced 3D Programming with DirectX", I want to wait to read a couple of reviews on it before I buy it.. oh yea, and I rather use D3D than OpenGL... Thanks! Luis Sempe
visual@guate.net
http://www.spheregames.com

Advertisement
Advanced 3d Game Programming w/ DirectX 7.0 by Adrian Perez is coming out in a few weeks. Check it out.

Mike

There''s a frensh book (maybe translated) called :
Direct3D: 3d temps reel sous windows.
->Direct3D : Real time 3d under windwos or something like that if translated.

Anyway I''ll recommend you to use OpenGL.
You can learn it with the Red and Blue books.

I know Direct3D and OpenGL, and I can say that OpenGL is much more structured and best documented.

(poor me, I started with Direct3d, if only I knew that OpenGL was so nice before buying my first Direct3d book... I''ll have save money)

All IMO.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

"Inside Direct3D" by Peter J Kovach. I found it quite helpful when learning direct3D, although the explanations on many things are pretty thin and there''s too much source code and not enough explanation in the actual book.

I haven''t read all of it, I stopped when I created a program in OpenGL that took a couple of days, compared to the weeks it took me to do the same thing in direct3D.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!