• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodlife

Colorkeys phased out?

This topic is 6913 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all- I thought I saw a horrible post on here, and I wanted to get confirmation: Is it true that colorkeying is getting phased out of video cards, in favor of 1bit alpha surfaces? If so, what happens to my code? Will color-keyed textures not be transparent? Am I going to end up with big black squares everywhere? How will this interact with older software? Anyone know that truth of this? -- Goodlife ----------------------------- Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.

Advertisement
I can''t confirm or deny that.

Here''s my insight - it''s possible they were talking about Direct3D, which allows you to set a colorkey on a texture. The thing is, not all 3D cards support it. Most people go the "safe" bet and use an alpha channel for the transparency.

Perhaps that''s what you read.

I think it''s more likely that DirectDraw will merge with Direct3D before ColorKey is phased out from DirectDraw. Basically, as I see it, 2D and 3D drawing will become one in future versions of DirectX...

Regardless, 3D cards try to support as many 2D operations as they can, so don''t worry about a game you''re already writing no longer working.

Clay

Nvidia state that they prefer alpha transparency because it is more powerful. They also implement their drivers to emulate colorkeying using alpha transparency, so sometimes there are issues with using colorkeying on Nvidia cards.

Its not something to worry about too much, as I think Nvidia will probably fix the drivers.

For example, on my Nvidia Geforce, colorkeying (in DirectDraw) works, but not quite right (there''s the odd black pixel at the edges of blitted surfaces) which wasn''t there on my Voodoo2.

I don''t know if anyone else has had this problem? Its possible there could be a different cause of course.

Ummm... from my understanding 3D accelerator cards are actually 2D all they do is pump out textured triangles and do some cool effects on them or the screen *ALL* 2D.
Am I way wrong?
From what I understand Direct3D is just a better way of handling hardware support, where as Direct Draw doesn''t take advantage of anything more than Hardware Blits.

Anyhow my point was yeah I think that DDraw and D3D will probably merge. As for colorkeying, I don''t think they''ll take it out quite so fast, because there are lot''s more games that use it, and if they suddenly weren''t compatible then they''d have problems. Same reason all graphics cards still support 80 character text modes, because BIOS and Command Promts and such still use them. Even though we have the technology to forget text modes all together. They still support them. Well actually maybe a better analogy is the 16 color mode. Text modes are still handy. But 16Color modes are never used anymore except when a computer hasn''t got drivers installed yet.
See ya,
Ben

While we''re on this topic, can someone tell me how to use an alpha channel in a texture? I''m supposed to create another DDSurface with Alpha channel caps then attach it to the texture surface right?

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!