file operation

Started by
4 comments, last by ankan666 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi, i''m trying to make a MD3-load function, (MD3=quake3''s modelformat) and i''m trying to read in the whole file to a buffer, and then parse the buffer... i''m using this code FILE *f = fopen(filename,"r"); fseek(f, 0, SEEK_END); int filesize = ftell(f); fseek(f, 0, SEEK_SET) byte *buffer = new byte[filesize]; memset(buffer, 0, sizeof(buffer)); total_read = fread(buffer, filesize, 1, f); fclose(f); my problem is that fread() seems to only read about half the file which is totally unacceptable. if I try to do a fread(buffer, 1, filsize, f) instead, fread() returns 268, when it should return 9484 (which is the size of the file). can someone explain this?
Advertisement
ok I found the problem...

fread() stops reading when it finds the byte (1A), because fread() thinks it''s a EOF-sign. How do I overcome this?
Could you give me a link where I can find some info about the MD3 format?!
quote:Original post by ankan666

ok I found the problem...

fread() stops reading when it finds the byte (1A), because fread() thinks it''s a EOF-sign. How do I overcome this?

Yes, you open the file as a text file (the default type). You should open it as a binary file i think. You should add a flag at the fopen() function but i don''t remember which one. Check the fopen() doc and see how you can open a binary file.

Don''t forget to tell us if it works, it''s always more pleasant to know our posts are useful.

Prosper / LOADED corporation
THATS IT!!!!!!!!
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!!!! THANKS MAN!!!!!!!!!
http://q3arena.net/mentalvortex/md3view/

this is where i found my info...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement