Request for an announcement (FAQ)

Started by
6 comments, last by civguy 21 years, 1 month ago
Would it be possible to have an announcement/sticky FAQ on top of the forum? Most common questions: 1. converting int to string or string to int (itoa, sprintf, string stream and lexical_cast could be mentioned) 2. creating random numbers (the typical rand()/RAND_MAX-scaling and mersenne twister/boost links here) 3. difference between struct and class Maybe I'm a bit too hopeful that anyone would actually read it though.. But at least everyone could lead newbies there. [edited by - civguy on March 1, 2003 12:58:08 PM]
Advertisement
Could someone host a website that we can contribute answers? Then everyone can get used to pointing to it. People do quite a good job of pointing to other faqs though which may be adequate
i can host a server whose availability is subject to me being at college (possible moves/downtime during winter/summer holidays). getting back to this thread started by Oluseyi, why not have a wiki for general programming? the temporary "playground" which can be used to test things out is here, and the production site, if decided on, is here.
hey go and play on niyaw''s wiki - it''s fun
quote:Original post by niyaw
i can host a server whose availability is subject to me being at college (possible moves/downtime during winter/summer holidays). getting back to this thread started by Oluseyi, why not have a wiki for general programming?

One of the aims of a Wiki site is that the interface discourage unsophisticated users, a category which encompasses many of the people here who need a FAQ.
quote:Original post by SabreMan
One of the aims of a Wiki site is that the interface discourage unsophisticated users, a category which encompasses many of the people here who need a FAQ.

Maybe it will help them become sophisticated.
quote:Original post by petewood
Maybe it will help them become sophisticated.

I don''t think they will use it if the UI doesn''t appeal within three seconds of first encountering it. The people who would be most likely to use a Wiki are the people least likely to necessitate a FAQ. This stuff needs to be spoon-fed.
without relying on people''s ability to search, we can still point those who need a faq to wiki pages, assuming that the person can look through one page and possibly use hyperlinks to see a couple of related pages. few people will modify the pages, which will hopefully prevent much misinformation. we can simply condense replies to posts here and organize them in wiki pages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement