Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Binary input into short variables?

This topic is 5401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, Im working on a lossy compression program for school over spring break here (great homework huh), and its quadtree compression of a picture in binary format. But the professor made up his own kind of picture format, with a .[1] extension and the first 4 bytes of the file are the dimensions of the picture followed by the rest of the picture data, where each byte represents a pixel. My dumb question is, how do I get those first 4 bytes (2 for rows, 2 for columns, which is why Im using shorts) into short variables? This is a really dumb question I know, I probably have some lame syntax bug somewhere but heres what I have: short imgSizeRows; short imgSizeCols; fin.open( argv[1], ios::binary ); fin.read( (char*)&imgSizeRows, sizeof(imgSizeRows) ); fin.read( (char*)&imgSizeCols, sizeof(imgSizeCols) ); Where imgSizeRows & imgSizeCols are private variables in the quadtree class. Right after I read in the dimensions I allocate a 2D array for the rest of the pixels and fill in that array, but for some reason the code above I always get 2''s for the two variables Any suggestions?

Ok I opened the file with a hex editor and the first four bytes are: 02 00 02 00, which should be 512 x 512, for the image dimensions. Anyone know why when I read those first 4 bytes in using the above method i get an output of 2''s for the short variables?