fps question

Started by
3 comments, last by ssjeci 21 years, 1 month ago
i was wondering, if i made a game for the pc and it runs on 40 fps if i made it for the ps2 will the fps increase or stay the same.
Advertisement
Once you can make a game for the PS2, you''ll be able to answer that for yourself

It''s difficult to say, because the PS2 is a dedicated piece of hardware and runs at horrible resolution (TVs suck). But the computer gets more powerful as the day passes. Generally, at identical resolution, if you know what you''re doing, and have a good system, you can expect better framerate on the computer. Especially in a year or two, when you make a game that actually uses all of the graphical capabilities of the computer/PS2.

Don''t look too far ahead

--Vic--
Given how long it's been since the PS2 was released, a game running on a current top of the line computer would wipe the floor with its PS2 port (in graphical quality and frame rate).

Maybe I just don't know anything, but the PS2's amount of memory seems brutally restrictive.

[edited by - micepick on March 1, 2003 5:12:14 PM]
Also, the PS2 is running on a 400 MHz processor, and most PCs running games today are 1 GHz or more, I would assume. So for games requiring a lot of CPU power, the PCs will blow the PS2 away.

You should also consider that most people run games on PCs at 800x600 or 1024x768 or even higher. So, despite the superior CPU and superior graphics processor most PCs have over the PS2, people require them to perform more calculations. For some reason people are content with the lower resolution of TVs. Kind of funny when you think about it, especially considering how much larger TVs are than monitors.

Jason Doucette
www.jasondoucette.com

[edited by - Jason Doucette on March 1, 2003 7:15:50 PM]
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
Comparative clock speed isn''t as important as it may seem, since the two architectures are completely different. Still, the computer industry moves forward so blindingly fast that it seems the PS2 is already showing its age. ¬_¬

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement