Beginner questions

Started by
8 comments, last by Landulf 21 years, 1 month ago
Hails to all, Hello. I am a beginner to game development and a (what I like to call) "halfling". Halfling meaning that I know enough programming to code a little bit but not enough to really get going. I have lots of questions but I am only going to ask a few here in this post. I can code in BASIC, HTML, a small bit of Perl and PHP, and a small bit of C++. I have already decided that I want to learn C or C++ for game programing but I keep getting conflicting opinions on the matter of something. I bought the book "Jamsa''s C/C++/C# Programmer''s Bible" (large book!) and I have only begun to read it. It is good so far except for one thing, the author begins by using C and then builds up to C++ and then to C# but he never stops using C to code. So I am confused, is C better than C++ to code in overall or is there even a difference in performance? My other question is about compilers. I am using Dev-C++ as a compiler and I was wondering what the difference of its libraries are compared to other compilers. Thanks in advance to any replies. Cheers! ☼ Landulf ☼ "We have such sights to show you..." -Pinhead
Landulf"We have such sights to show you..." -Pinhead
Advertisement
There are some conflicting views on C/C++ but I think most agree that it is better to learn C and then C++. Thats why it probably starts with C. C is pretty good for over all functional use. C++ however allows you to take advantage of OOP and it has some other perks as well. Im not very familiar with C++ so I cant tell you too much about it.

The Dev-C++ compiler is probly the nicest free compiler. The free borland one is perhaps better but I dont think you can get it for free in a GUI.
I would guess that around 90% of people would advise you to learn C++ if you are serious about getting into the industry, learning C first will make learning C++ easier, theres loads of tutorials for the beginner C/C++ programmer to get started with floating around the web.

[edited by - Spudder on March 1, 2003 4:22:16 PM]
Hmmm... interesting. I don''t think that I need a tutorial though because I am satisfied with the book that I bought.
I still don''t know what the differences in libraries are.

Landulf

"We have such sights to show you..." -Pinhead
Landulf"We have such sights to show you..." -Pinhead
Definately learn C and C++ since most coders use a combination of both in most of their coding. It will make reading examples much easier to figure out.

GRELLIN

~CGP~
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
As far as I can tell, dev c++ and other compilers give pretty much the same end result, however dev c++ seems to cause problems with ini files for me. Dev c++ is actually just an IDE for g++ (GNU C++), so technically it doesn''t have libraries.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
The C programming language is a good language. In fact, that is what windows is created in. But we all think in terms of objects. When we see a chair, we know we sit in it and it will hold us up. C++ is the same way. Everything coded in c++ revolves around objects; that is why it is called OOP (Object Oriented Programming). The closest thing C has to compare with C++ is its structures which basically organizes your code.

As for your compiler, I would advise you get the student edition of visual c++. The main reason I say this is its ability to link to other libraries. I used to use those free compilers and they would work for the most part, but when it came down to using direct X or OpenGL, it is much easier to use visual c++. The way I did this, I bought "The complete C++ training course" by Deitel & Deitel. It comes with the compiler and a cyber classroom. The book is very difinitive as well. It''s your decision though and i''m sure the book you have is fine. Good luck man.

Koolboarder 007
C++ includes all the C libraries, plus the "C++ Standard Library". It has lots of extra useful stuff like storage class templates and streams and string classes and stuff.
I really don''t see why so many people treat knowledge of C as a prerequisite to learning C++. It is true that C++ contains some more advanced constructs that beginners would likely struggle with, but this is a non-issue as these would not be a topic for a beginner learning pure C++. I think that C++ contains some valuable facilities that would likely help a beginner, and superior abstractions that are likely to make your life easier - C++ STL strings vs. null-terminated char array C strings, for instance. I agree that a C++ programmer should learn about these topics, but I don''t agree that it''s necessary (or even preferable) to do so first.
Well in his case he has a book on both so it doesnt matter. I know not all programs are like this, but many programs that i''ve seen that use C++ are mostly C. A lot of coders will do most of there work in C and then when they need the perks from C++ they just put it in as needed. So for most of the works ive seen C is used more, but I dont guess ive seen very many of them so I could be wrong. I know some C++, but I do mostly C so I find it easier to do most of my work in C and then use C++ as I need to. I wonder how people who learn C++ first and then C see it though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement