Game programming colleges

Started by
10 comments, last by HellspawnXIII 21 years, 1 month ago
Which would help the most in getting into the game programming industry: A BS degree from a 4-year college, or a degree from one of those game programming colleges (FullSail, Digipen, etc)? Or, would it be even better to have both?
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
Advertisement
I would say that a game development school was the best option.
Digipen focuses specifically on Game Development, while Full Sail
also deals with other stuff like film, recording arts and computer animation. Therefore, I think that for a guy trying to get into the games industry, Digipen is the best choice (its also
much cheaper)
I'm no expert at this but i think having a degree won't help much if you haven't got the talent,...... then again you must be pretty talented if you have both.....

[edited by - Crawl on March 1, 2003 5:34:59 PM]
--------<a href="http://www.icarusindie.com/rpc>Reverse Pop Culture
Good to have both in case one doesn''t work out.
A 4 year degree and a bunch of very impressive and polished game/graphics demos that you''ve worked upon in your own spare time.
Well, seeing as I am enrolled (and plan to finish) college, another Associates degree in Computer Game development wouldn''t help? Or would it be equivalent to a few good demos of mine?
Check out the good Computer Science schools, I learned the basics of good code from Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, CA and am developing a game based on all of the good mathematics and coding I learned there.
2 Classes in C, Pre-Calculus, Calculus and Calculus 2.

- Valles
What really matters is a completed game demo with code samples that show you know your stuff. You can get this by working on your own or by going to Full Sail/Digipen where part of the curriculum is making a game demo to show to employers. Just another degree on your resume isn''t going to mean much when you''re trying to find a job.
Shmiznac
Deep demo will get you job anything else won''t. Most game companies want person with at least one game under their belt. I heard of recent layoffs and that even makes it more competitive. Any demo they do in school won''t cut it. The game demo needs to be pretty deep, couple thousand lines of code which schools won''t go into.
Okay, I have taken 3 courses of C++ back in high school, and scored a 4 on the Comp Sci AP test (whatever significance that is). I also have messed around with MFC, and am currently learning DirectX (and will have a game to post here shortly ).

Now, would going to one of these game development colleges help me in any way?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement