• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shrap

C or C++?

This topic is 5684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys I was just wondering if I should learn C or dive right into C++? Like I mean to learn C++ will I need to have a strong background in C? Thanks

Advertisement
Nope, C++ is that way to go of the two.

C is not a level of C++, in your sense.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.

no.
it''s a bad myth that you need C to learn C++.
it''s just not true.
you can learn C++ straight on.

BUT! there are things you have to learn about C++
one you''ll have to learn a little about the STL library (ex: , , , etc...).
also there are a some programming paradigms involved with C++
such as: procedural programming (which C does) Object-Oriented and Object-based programming (which is similar to Java) and generic programming (which is the ability to use templates).

so my suggestion learn C++ and start with the basics for example: using and and using procedural programming (this is just a suggestion).

anyway good luck.

if you are going to start learning a language It is suggested that you learn C++ first. this is because c programmars have to break certain habits that c++ will not allow

But you''ll learn

Okidata

quote:
Original post by okidata
if you are going to start learning a language It is suggested that you learn C++ first. this is because c programmars have to break certain habits that c++ will not allow

Why? Do you think there is something inherently wrong with C?

Learn C++ first and once you have a firm grasp on the language you should take a look at C. Not because you will be hindered in capability, but because a lot of programmers use a combination of the two so some of the examples can be a bit confusing if you don''t know a little.

GRELLIN

~CGP~

i learned c++ without learning c first. learning c first might be a little easier but u do have to unlearn some things. it really depends on how well you can learn stuff. if u are a fast learning skip c and go straight to c++. but if you arent then learn c and then learn c++.

[edited by - brass_fish on March 1, 2003 9:20:51 PM]

C++ has all of the features of the C and a lot of new ones that support OOP. Then it's just the different in libraries that separates C & C++. Since C++ has all of the features of C you can go ahead learn C++ and then just make sure that you are familiar with standard C libraries. So that when you encounter
printf("some crap: %0.2i\n",i);
in someone's code you won't be dumbfounded.

[edited by - MOVSW on March 1, 2003 12:41:25 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!