C or C++?

Started by
18 comments, last by Shrap 21 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys I was just wondering if I should learn C or dive right into C++? Like I mean to learn C++ will I need to have a strong background in C? Thanks
Advertisement
Nope, C++ is that way to go of the two.

C is not a level of C++, in your sense.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
no.
it''s a bad myth that you need C to learn C++.
it''s just not true.
you can learn C++ straight on.

BUT! there are things you have to learn about C++
one you''ll have to learn a little about the STL library (ex: , , , etc...).
also there are a some programming paradigms involved with C++
such as: procedural programming (which C does) Object-Oriented and Object-based programming (which is similar to Java) and generic programming (which is the ability to use templates).

so my suggestion learn C++ and start with the basics for example: using and and using procedural programming (this is just a suggestion).

anyway good luck.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

if you are going to start learning a language It is suggested that you learn C++ first. this is because c programmars have to break certain habits that c++ will not allow

But you''ll learn

Okidata
Suki-yaki hot saki soup.... you sock it to me I''ll sock it to you!...
quote:Original post by okidata
if you are going to start learning a language It is suggested that you learn C++ first. this is because c programmars have to break certain habits that c++ will not allow

Why? Do you think there is something inherently wrong with C?
It helps! Knowing C before C++ helps!!!!
Learn C++ first and once you have a firm grasp on the language you should take a look at C. Not because you will be hindered in capability, but because a lot of programmers use a combination of the two so some of the examples can be a bit confusing if you don''t know a little.

GRELLIN

~CGP~
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
i learned c++ without learning c first. learning c first might be a little easier but u do have to unlearn some things. it really depends on how well you can learn stuff. if u are a fast learning skip c and go straight to c++. but if you arent then learn c and then learn c++.

[edited by - brass_fish on March 1, 2003 9:20:51 PM]
extended waranty, how can I lose!
C++ has all of the features of the C and a lot of new ones that support OOP. Then it's just the different in libraries that separates C & C++. Since C++ has all of the features of C you can go ahead learn C++ and then just make sure that you are familiar with standard C libraries. So that when you encounter
printf("some crap: %0.2i\n",i);
in someone's code you won't be dumbfounded.

[edited by - MOVSW on March 1, 2003 12:41:25 AM]
Go for C++, C is only gonna give you hard time later.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement