Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual Basic 6.0 a good language to use?

This topic is 5389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im thinking of Visual Basic 6.0.. Would it be good to use? Im not into C or C++, been there done that. I have tried most languages and i like Visual Basic 6.0 the most... 3DGameStudio is also good but it costs over 1000 US bucks.

from what i understand VB is nearly useless for making games, unless you have the DX SDK for VB. and from what i understand about that, it''s not the easiest thing in the world to use DX with VB.

also i don''t advise asking for VB help here. too many C++ bigots. i''d advise finding a VB forum or something, i''m sure there''s one for making games in VB.

quote:
Original post by Drakex
from what i understand VB is nearly useless for making games, unless you have the DX SDK for VB.

It depends on what type of game you are making. I''ve made some fun games in VB very successfully and have seen others.

quote:
also i don''t advise asking for VB help here. too many C++ bigots. i''d advise finding a VB forum or something, i''m sure there''s one for making games in VB.

From what I see, VB questions are answered here as well. Moderators will make sure that those who are not productive will shut up (by force if necessary) and will encourage on topic conversation.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

I started out with VB and have ''progressed'' to more complex languages such as C++... I find that I perfer to use Visual Basic when trying new math based things, or for past prototyping...

Also I find that VB is very good for handling databases; also if you learn VB you can program in ASP and VBA very easy...

Overall though I would choose C++ for doing games, it has much more potential and almost all major libraries are written for it. Although if you want to get into making games fast learn Visual Basic, I have made quite a few fun eye-pleasing games in it... Good luck!

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by RayOfAsh
Im thinking of Visual Basic 6.0.. Would it be good to use? Im not into C or C++, been there done that. I have tried most languages and i like Visual Basic 6.0 the most... 3DGameStudio is also good but it costs over 1000 US bucks.

The only use I have for VB is when I have an idea and I don''t want to take the time code it in C++. For example, I''ve been playing around with HTTP and to test what I had read I used the Winsock control in VB to download the XML headline list from Slashdot.org. For anything more serious than playing around I use C++.

VB is just a tool to get a task completed. Just as is, c, c++, Java, MFC, API, Perl, etc...
Once you understand the logic and and design behind programming, then you can choose whatever language best suits it. If you feel more comfratable programming in VB, then by all means do so. Just remember, if your serious about programming as a career, you will want to be familiar with a variety of languages.

Yes, you can make games with VB. And, in reality, probbaly easier to learn how to make games starting with VB, to grasp the beginning concepts.

I started with VB too, but I soon realise that VB is an easy but poor. Learn C++ (buy a good book and 2 weeks later you begin to making your games in DOS)
Now I''m learning OpenGL programming with Visual C++, it''s a bit difficult, but I will insist till I learn everything

Learn C++ and you don''t regret it (VB don''t give you enough to do powerful games)

I started with VB too, but I soon realise that VB is an easy but poor. Learn C++ (buy a good book and 2 weeks later you begin to making your games in DOS)
Now I''m learning OpenGL programming with Visual C++, it''s a bit difficult, but I will insist till I learn everything

Learn C++ and you don''t regret it (VB don''t give you enough to do powerful games)

quote:
Original post by Drakex
from what i understand VB is nearly useless for making games, unless you have the DX SDK for VB. and from what i understand about that, it''s not the easiest thing in the world to use DX with VB.

I didn''t know who told you this, but it''s nonsense. I''ve been a VB/DirectX programmer for 2 years, and it''s a really nice language. Also, of course it''s (quite a lot) slower than C++, but I''ve seen some quite nice 3D game for it. I''ve seen A LOT of C++ games that looked a lot worse. It''s just not possible to make an engine like the Unreal Warfare one with VB on the current systems, but you CAN make a small 3D engine with VB without problems. And it''s for sure that VB/DirectX is an easier to learn combination than C++/DirectX or C++/OpenGL

And I think I can say this, for I tried all those combinations. I started out with VB/DirectX, after 2 years moved to C++/DirectX. I didn''t understand much of C++/DirectX although I bought books for it (never needed books with VB) and later I switched to C++/OpenGL. Loved that combination, I find OpenGL much easier to work with than DirectX. DirectX seems really abstract to me. I didn''t find this much of an issue though with VB since it takes a lot of stuff away. I guess VB always is a bit abstract...

Oh well choose whatever you like, it really doesn''t matter since you really have to try different things so you''ll find out what you prefer. I really enjoyed my time with VB/DirectX, and when I wanted to make a big professional 3D engine I found C++/OpenGL really satisfying. But C++ can be really hard to start with, so VB is a good introduction.

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |

Honestly, I would try to stay away from VB. It is fairly inferior and less widley used. The advantage is , however, that its like programming HTML in dreamweaver, you can do the code and it will show you what you are doing, and automatically chagne the code.

-"The only unviersal truth is that the only unviersal truths are padigims"

quote:
Original post by blah500
I would try to stay away from VB. It is fairly inferior

So, is that a unviersal truth or is it a padigimi?

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain

www.vbworld.org

Some vb guru''s there. Dont listen to knotheads tellin you to stay away from vb. Find something you like and learn it. Then when you got it down move on to something else. That''s my recomended road if you''re not pursuing a career in programming, otherwise become a guru at something like c++ then move on to other languages.

I''ve been trying to use VB for games, but I don''t think it''s worth it anymore. It has quite some problems, one of the bigger ones is the timer. It''s very slow, which means that everything you want to animate will have problems.
There are not that many tutorials on VB and gaming either, not even close to how many there are for C++.
One of the bigger problems with c++ is designing the interface for me. It takes a long time to make buttons etc for yourself if you for example want to have them in your 3d game. It''s easy in VB though.

If you want to begin fast VB might be for you, but it''s not that hard to do a basic game in OpenGL and C++. Look att nehe.gamedev.net.
It''s easier than one might think.

I''ve also worked with Flash MX a lot. It''s interface is extremely cool, but it''s speed is hiddeous.

I''m working on a basic flash interface copy for my editor. I will add the basic functionalities, like group, rotate, change color add to library. But I''m also thinking about adding simple animation posibilities in the editor, like keyframes etc. If I get it to work it would be extremely cool.
Goog luck with your journey...

/Andreas