Visual Basic 6.0 a good language to use?

Started by
16 comments, last by RayOfAsh 21 years, 1 month ago
Im thinking of Visual Basic 6.0.. Would it be good to use? Im not into C or C++, been there done that. I have tried most languages and i like Visual Basic 6.0 the most... 3DGameStudio is also good but it costs over 1000 US bucks.
The return of NWN is the will of the gods; and i, am their instrument.
Advertisement
correction - 3DGameStudio professional costs $1000us, they have 50$, 100$, and 200$ editions as well.

3DGameStudio

Michael Bartman
Michael BartmanLead ProgrammerDark Omen Studios
from what i understand VB is nearly useless for making games, unless you have the DX SDK for VB. and from what i understand about that, it''s not the easiest thing in the world to use DX with VB.

also i don''t advise asking for VB help here. too many C++ bigots. i''d advise finding a VB forum or something, i''m sure there''s one for making games in VB.

from what i understand VB is nearly useless for making games, unless you have the DX SDK for VB.

It depends on what type of game you are making. I''ve made some fun games in VB very successfully and have seen others.

quote:also i don''t advise asking for VB help here. too many C++ bigots. i''d advise finding a VB forum or something, i''m sure there''s one for making games in VB.

From what I see, VB questions are answered here as well. Moderators will make sure that those who are not productive will shut up (by force if necessary) and will encourage on topic conversation.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm
I started out with VB and have ''progressed'' to more complex languages such as C++... I find that I perfer to use Visual Basic when trying new math based things, or for past prototyping...

Also I find that VB is very good for handling databases; also if you learn VB you can program in ASP and VBA very easy...

Overall though I would choose C++ for doing games, it has much more potential and almost all major libraries are written for it. Although if you want to get into making games fast learn Visual Basic, I have made quite a few fun eye-pleasing games in it... Good luck!
VB is best for making logic games such as Solitaire, or slow-paced games. C++ is best suited for fast-paced games such as Quake.
quote:Original post by RayOfAsh
Im thinking of Visual Basic 6.0.. Would it be good to use? Im not into C or C++, been there done that. I have tried most languages and i like Visual Basic 6.0 the most... 3DGameStudio is also good but it costs over 1000 US bucks.

The only use I have for VB is when I have an idea and I don''t want to take the time code it in C++. For example, I''ve been playing around with HTTP and to test what I had read I used the Winsock control in VB to download the XML headline list from Slashdot.org. For anything more serious than playing around I use C++.

VB is just a tool to get a task completed. Just as is, c, c++, Java, MFC, API, Perl, etc...
Once you understand the logic and and design behind programming, then you can choose whatever language best suits it. If you feel more comfratable programming in VB, then by all means do so. Just remember, if your serious about programming as a career, you will want to be familiar with a variety of languages.

Yes, you can make games with VB. And, in reality, probbaly easier to learn how to make games starting with VB, to grasp the beginning concepts.
<=- Talon -=>
I started with VB too, but I soon realise that VB is an easy but poor. Learn C++ (buy a good book and 2 weeks later you begin to making your games in DOS)
Now I''m learning OpenGL programming with Visual C++, it''s a bit difficult, but I will insist till I learn everything

Learn C++ and you don''t regret it (VB don''t give you enough to do powerful games)
I started with VB too, but I soon realise that VB is an easy but poor. Learn C++ (buy a good book and 2 weeks later you begin to making your games in DOS)
Now I''m learning OpenGL programming with Visual C++, it''s a bit difficult, but I will insist till I learn everything

Learn C++ and you don''t regret it (VB don''t give you enough to do powerful games)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement