Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demonrealms

This is getting really annoying

I''m really getting p.o.ed. This dang book(tricks of the game programming gures(2nd edtion)) Is getting into Direct X, But doean''t tell you how to set it up! I''ve asked this many times for help. But no ones really told me step by step how to do it. Will some one please tell me how to set it up step-by-step please? My current compiler is visual c++ 6.0, DirectXSDK is in c:\directx\DXF\DXSDK with \lib and \include in it. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! -Demon Realms

First you need to direct your project to look in the DirectX SDK include and lib files. In your workspace go Tools->Options and then click on the Directories tab. Make sure the top entry in both the Include and Lib points to the \include and \lib files of the SDK, in your case this would be c:\directx\DXF\DXSDK\include and c:\directx\DXF\DXSDK\lib.

Now you need to link your project to the correct libraries. In your current workspace go Project->Setting on the menu. Then click on the link tab and in the Object Library/Modules edit box you need to add the lib files you are using in your project. The more common ones are ''dxguid.lib ddraw.lib dsound.lib dinput.lib''.

If I''ve made a mistake anyone, feel free to correct me.

I looked in my copy of that book and if you take a look at page 5 in the introduction you will see "Installing DirectX" and just below that "Compiling the Programs" They give a detailed account of how to do what you are asking. I would type the whole thing out but since it is in your book and I am too lazy, I hope the page number will get you in the right direction.

GRELLIN

~CGP~

Look under the First Steps (Setting up...) section here and maybe this will help you out a bit. Ignore the fact I am using DirectX9.

Regards,
Sharky

Thanks, but now I''ver run into another problem. I''m programming in an Win32 application. And I''m trying to do com. Well it says
IUknown struct redifntion. Whats that mean?