Fullsail in Orlando

Started by
14 comments, last by koolboarder007 21 years, 1 month ago
Would you say that you would learn more at a school that pushes you to try to cram things really fast or to learn on your own with books and practice? I dont know to me it seems like Fullsail offers people hope to get a job more than anything. Actually I suppose it offers more than hope because that does look good on a resume and I understand they help you get a job too, but I still wonder if they can actually teach you well in such a short amount of time, or if your actually teaching yourself with actual deadlines of when to learn it.
Advertisement
The greatest thing about Full Sail is how hard they push you. I don''t think I would be able to learn this fast on my own without some incentive. Full Sail gives you the motivation to learn faster than you ever have before.
Personally, I wouldn''t hire a programmer without at least BS degree in CS. I did it once and that was enough for me. Game programming is programming first and ''game'' second. *

*I am getting old and grumpy; so feel free to ignore me
It is nice to have incentive to learn fast but $36,000...thats a lot of money for one year and if it is possible to teach yourself then I dont understand the need for it. I''m sure it would look nice on an application but I wonder if a BS, or MS degree + real programing job experience + some demos would do better. Plus you''de be actually making money while you learn with a BS. Ofcourse a BS could be costly too, however its something that can probly definitely get you a job and it gives you a wider perception of computer systems. I''ve always been told that employers like B.S. degrees better too. Going to college means that you are well rounded in other ways rather than just programing. You know philosophy, english, math, you put up with 4 years with good grades so you must have ambition and comitment. I think a BS is very important and im questioning whether a school like fullsail is. What exactly can a professor do with you in such a short time he has with you?
I think this is starting to turn into a flame war, so i wont post after this on it, however as i stated before it is all personal preference. I have stuidied full sail and digipen extensively for over 2 years now following both and also taking tours and emailing students and teachers.
Yes Fullsail is an excellent school for learning, however just to clea rup some confusion. Digipen you work just as hard, and learn alot more, but for a longer period , IF YOU CHOOSE. Digipens Real-time simulation has a 2 yr degree OR A FOUR YEAR DEGREE. And you work from 8 am to 10pm 5-6 days a week. So its pretty extensive also Both will only teach you what you put into it!
As for animation, they both have it. Digipen is more known for its world renown Animation degree, whos students helped develop shrek, monster inc, bugs life, etc... And they work hand in hand with the gamers with there projects.

Basically it comes down to this...
Research them both, and even other alternatives, email people attending and get there views, talk to the teachers, bascially jsut do the research. Then base your decision off that.
<=- Talon -=>
Personally, I think you''ll be better off going to a school that gives you a bachelors degree rather than an associate''s degree. In case you can''t find anything in gaming, you can always fall back on more traditional jobs that like to see a 4yr CS degree. Stick with FIT if you can, and if not, maybe check out other SUS schools. Since you''re in Melbourne, you''re pretty close to UCF and not too far from FAU.

Me personally, I''ve been toying with the idea of going to UAT out in Arizona. I haven''t heard anything about it though...good or bad, so I guess it''s an average school. Cost is fairly cheap too, about 350$/hour on a semester system. So about 12grand a year...which for a private university is pretty good.
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement