Does Simple = Fun?

Started by
20 comments, last by Extrarius 21 years, 1 month ago
Maybe Zelda is simple cause the games now are not. When I played Zelda the first time I did not think it was simple. Maybe the complexity of today's games may let me think that Zelda is simple now.

[edited by - White Crow on March 6, 2003 12:57:46 PM]
~~~~~~I'll make you an offer you can't refuse...
Advertisement
I was writing a lot of DnD dungeons at the same time I was playing Zelda. Even though the game had its complexities, it left enough open to the imagination to appreciate the fun of it all.

Games are so absolutely immersive any more with high quality music, character animations, voiceovers, story detail, etc. the enjoyment doesn't feel as "academic" as it did with Zelda. By academic I mean that there was a sense that you could take the concepts of Zelda and practically make your own game from it. The way the game expressed itself almost encouraged that. It felt like a teaching game, somehow. Even though I know they didn't make the game to really teach anyone anything, its presentation felt like that. The simplicity of 2D games seemed to generate that feel, mostly, until the SNES went nuts with the concept. (Probably made me feel pressured to keep up with the animation and design techniques)

I know this is just a subjective opinion. The way I enjoyed the game likely had to do with all the other things I was involved with at the time.

[edited by - Waverider on March 6, 2003 1:13:17 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement