Visual Studio + other compilers? can it be setup?

Started by
9 comments, last by DJKAOS 21 years, 1 month ago
Is there any way to set up visual studio to compile using compilers other than what it comes with? I mean i would like to use Visual Studio to edit my code and stuff, but it needs to be compiled with code warrior... also I would like to compile using compilers on on a diffrent computer via...network. thanks
Advertisement
Just write the code, save it, and compile it with the compiler of your choice.

Write/Save File (VS)
Compile File (Code Warrior)

[edited by - Programmer One on March 2, 2003 3:56:09 AM]
Better yet, learn to use the command-line compiler, and how to write makefiles.

Windows versions of make exist, see mingw or unixutils (old).

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Dunno about CW but Intel wrote an utility to integrate theyr compiler into msvc. Maybe this could also be done by writing an add-in to msvc ide and manually gathering the needed compiler options...
yea I guess I could write the files in vc++ and compile in code warrior..but thats a pain... is there any way in VC++ to tell it what compiler to use?

could somone point me to info on using the command line way? (and I know what makfiles are..I use them in linux all the time)

you can hook in buttons on Visual Studio to kick off batch files. In those batch files, you can have a command which executes your chosen compiler. In conjunction with makefiles, this should work. It''s the system we use to develop games for consoles.
ok cool thanks, thats what I''ll do.

I am using Codwarrior for the PS2...and I don''t like code warrior very much so I''ll try what you suggested.
I''m blind or something i can''t figure out how to make a button in Visual studio that will run a batch file that I want.... could you tell me how?
Define it as an "External Tool".

You may have to play games with the path to make it relative to the current project (VS has predefined tokens for such things).

Then create a button that calls that "External Tool"

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Anyone tried doing this with custom build settings?

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement