Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobertC

Generating indices for a polygon soup

Hi all, I have objects that are loaded from various formats (3ds etc) that have the vertices parsed and indices generated, which works fine if you want to draw the whole object. But my problem is that since i am using space partitioning, that when i get to a leaf node, I only have faces that no longer have a representation of the whole object (because they are split up into nodes). So my question is, is there an algorithm that describes how to generate indices for this soup of polygons (faces)? When I get to a leaf node each face has a pointer to the object it belongs to, but i need some way of generating indices for the current node. Hope this makes sense .

Does each child node in your space partition have it''s own seperate geometry pool?
Not sure if i understand specificly what you''re asking, but for each one of my ABT children, it has it''s own geometry pool. That is, i copy the world data into that node, regenerate the indicies for the new object that exists in that node. No polygon spans any 2 nodes (i split everything)

~Main

==
Colt "MainRoach" McAnlis
Programmer
www.badheat.com/sinewave

Yes, each node has a seperate geometry pool, so i''d be in the same boat as you.

How do you do the regeneration of your indices?