Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In java

This topic is 5399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by eddy78
Still, it doesent work.

What?! Are you trying to say that giant mutant assasin-squirrels equipped with BFGs attacked your house when you tried to debug an OpenGL applet? No? Then what does "doesn''t work" mean?

well... after you''ve unpacked your gl4java libs you should place them into your runtime''s library path ($JRE_DIR/lib/i386 at my machine... but $JRE_DIR/bin should also work). the jar-files have to be placed in the extention directory ($JRE_DIR/lib/ext at me). finally you need to make some hardlinks to your libGL.so (or OpenGL32.dll if you use windos). to do this you should use the windos-explorer or the ln command. the links MUST have the following names:
gnu:
$JRE_DIR/bin/libGL.so -> /usr/lib/libGL.so
$JRE_DIR/bin/libGLU.so -> /usr/lib/libGLU.so

windos:
(your jdk-installation)\lib\bin\opengl32.dll -> (your windos-installation)\system\opengl32.dll
(your jdk-installation)\lib\bin\glu32.dll -> (your windos-installation)\system\glu32.dll

if you use OS/2 (or winNT or win2k or winXP or win.net) you should find "opengl32.dll" and "glu32.dll" in your "system32" path instead of "system"

restart your applet server and try loading one of the demonstration applets at jausoft

Id suggest using lwjgl [java-game-lib.sourceforge.net].
It is faster than gl4java, because it uses javax.nio.ByteBuffer to pass values to gl, like textures and display lists.
Don''t have to set any user variables, just put the lwjgl.jar and lwjgl.dll in classpath. Works easy.

There is also JAVA 3D from sun, which can be used and it also supports both OpenGL and D3D... Also JDk 1.4 has new features supporting exclusive modes and changing video resolutions etc...

LWJGL is only usefull, if it''s ok for you to lose AWT/Swing functionality in the OpenGL rendered output. Other then that, it seems to be a nice solution. In contrast to Java3D, maybe this API is of interest for you: jPCT
It uses LWJGL too (+ a software engine).

Lwjgl is the fastest way to use opengl in java. Its more than "only usefull". Yes you lose some of the features of gl4java and java3D, but you get heaps more speed. Its pure opengl, simple, fast, without all the extras you don''t need.

quote:
Original post by harleyrana
Lwjgl is the fastest way to use opengl in java. Its more than "only usefull".
"...only usefull, IF..." not just "only usefull"...sometimes, reading the whole sentence may help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I also wanted to use OpenGL in Java, so my first attempt was to
get GL4Java to run.
I had some problems installing and using GL4Java but then I
switched to LWJGL which is still in progress.
LWJGL uses OpenGL v1.4 while GL4Java only provides support for v1.3.

You can get it here for free:
java-game-lib.sourceforge.net/

Also take a look at the provided links! You''ll get most of
the NeHe tutorials and the ones from www.gametutorials.com
there (converted to Java + LWJGL).

Just my 2c :-)

In java everything is fine
You''ve got your good thing
And I''ve got mine.