Communication in online games

Started by
6 comments, last by FrikkaSoft 21 years, 1 month ago
I admit I haven´t used a headset or a microphone in any online game. I have heard people complaining about users who abuse this technology and can make other people stop using it. Say you are playing counter-strike where every player has a headset. Then if any player talks his team can hear him load and clear, but not the other team. Now, imagine that when you talk you start a sound coming from your person and anyone close enough in this online world can hear you. The louder you talk the longer the sound goes. Although methods are different from game to game, I think this cind of communications are somewhat more fun(in cs at least). Do you think it is hard to implent?, not effective?, no enough user satisfaction?. What do you think?
Friðrik Ásmundsson
Advertisement
I think it would be a good idea..
But it really depends on the game. Because a game like CS, it would be stupid to implant that sound stuff, because if somebody really uses it for tactics, they need to be able to talk to the persons at the other side of the map.

But it would be a good idea with a big RPG game or something, where radios wheren´t invented yet...
Or with an MMORPG where people can talk to eachother when they are close to eachother. Then it would be primarely for fun to talk.
So for tactics use, it would be better to use the all hearing voice comm. rather then the ranged voice comm....

I don´t think its really hard to implant, use a layer radius around the player with the steps of the loudness coming from the player. But I do think its hard to implant the loudness expanding depending on how loud the player is talking.

But im not a Pro with that so..
"Computers are like airconditioners, they will crash when you open windows"
Unless you can ensure a mature user base, implementing voice communication of any kind is a waste of time. About a week after it was added to counterstrike, the voice channel was full of little kids using nothing but expletives. A year later, it was still going on. You can mute the players that are ranting or using expletives, but nobody will listen to you except maybe your clanmates and your friends. With my clanmates, we had binds to various important messages on the F1-F12 keys that took less time to press than saying it out loud, and most of the time we just knew what was going on with eachother so we didn''t even need them.

----------
Almost typo-ified using Extrarius'' AUTOMATIC Typo Generator, but I decided to be nice =-)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Well I agree that voice communication can be less responsive than key binding or equal methods in SOME situations.

Although used well I think it can increase in-game admosphere and response time.

Imagine playing as terrorist in the Italy map and your character is located in the house(where the hostages are) on the 2nd floor. Now imagine that another terrorist is beside you while defending this house and that you can talk to him directly and noone else can here you. Maybe you are using the sniper unaware about your surroundings. Then sudden 2 counter-terrorist come from the side. Now your parner screams aloud, warning you about their present.

I think this cind of communication is better than binding a key to an action, because your first response is not to write out message to your team, it is to fire your gun. In this example it would be so much easier to speak to your team. Also, maybe your team is far away and you scream aloud hoping that someone can hear you.

This method for example, implemented well can bring you closer to your character and improve in-game admosphere.

Friðrik Ásmundsson
Well, ignoring the abuse of voice communication by some people, I still wouldn''t use it. I don''t know about you, but I don''t think my family would like me screaming out loud(or even talking somewhat lout at all) at 2AM when they''re all asleep and I''m gaming away. Even in the daytime, I''d feel really weird talking at anything above a normal volume. Also, its sometimes hard to understand people talking online because they have such different accents.

Also, most people don''t get immersed enough to have normal conversations. People use IRC, ICQ, Forums, etc when they want to chat. If you could make a game where people really got into the roles, then it might be interesting. In a game like counter-strike though, removing radio comm would make voice chat nearly useless as said, because when coordinating you need to be able to talk to people across the map. Maybe implement radio comm but allow the enemy to hear you also if they are near anybody when they send/receive a radio message.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Personaly I don''t like voice chat in game; some friends of mine are using TS which is a little prg that let you talk with others.
They use TS while playing EQ and they have formed some chat group so that you can be only heard by people in that group.
For example there is a guild group where everybody can talk, there is a chat group one ,two three and four where only members grp that grp can talk, there is a raid group where only raid leader can talk but everybody will hear and so on.
They found it very usefull, I found it very annoying
From my experience in counterstrike it would have been around 25-15% of users of the voicecom abused it. I''m talking about people that just put static noise and rubbish like that on it. About another 10% or so use it for making jokes which can be good or bad depending. Apart from that i think it is great, it is an advantage if your got it and i think it should be in every game for one huge reason: -It disadvantages people who are playing against people in internet cafes who can communicate freely with each other.

Its a must have in all online games.
Someone was actually blasting circus music through the CS voice chat feature once -- I was ROFL so fast...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement