Debug / Release

Started by
5 comments, last by jonbell 21 years, 1 month ago
How do i change my build to an optimized release version in VC++ 6?
Advertisement
Actually i just figured it out but now under a release build i get a load of linker errors looking for the opengl lib''s. How come when it compiles fine for a debug build?
Build / Set active configuration
quote:Original post by jonbell
How come when it compiles fine for a debug build?

Forgot to att the opengl lib''s to the Release configuration?
I have VC++ 5.0, so I am guessing that it will be pretty much the same. For VC++ 5.0: Build -> Set Active Configuration

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || MSDN || STL || GameCoding || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]
[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || [email=lektrix@barrysworld.com]E-Mail Me[/email] ]
Yes that was it.

Now i have it working i see that my frame rate is exactly the same using a release build as a debug build. This leads me to think that in the context of graphics there is not much the programmer can do to speed up the rendering process except for good object culling. Over 95% of my programs execution time is in the OpenGL funtions which are already optimised and are out of my control anyway.
you need to optimize at algorithm level, which means basically finding faster algorithms to do the tasks you''re currently doing. if you''re using glvertex and glcolor calls, no optimizations are going to help you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement