Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Optimal Terrain Rendering

This topic is 5404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m currently storing my entire terrain in a single VB (+/- 200,000 polygons). Then, when I render, I am selecting strips of the VB and rendering them with the drawprimitive command. So far so good. This method means that I can draw 10 strips of 10 ''squares'' to cover 10x10 ground. If I can increase the strip width to 100, I could in theory cover 100x100 with just 10 calls as well. But now, I''m wondering, would it be more efficient to switch from strips in a single VB to using squares split over multiple VB''s? I could easilly incorporate a ROAM type of system if I went this route (where a VB gets loaded as you move around - much harder to do with a single VB), plus the LOD would be much simpler (squares further away use a low-detail VB, ones closer use a high-detail VB). But, how much would it impact on performance to split the terrain up into multiple VB''s? Also, with the LOD, would it be more efficient to store a high & low detail VB, or just the low-detail and n-patch it? Learning to fly is easy, but as a tortoise, the landings are really rough.