Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drath

Continuous terrain

I have been planning a terrain system that will eventually become continuous but there are several grey areas I wonder about. Just to note, the perspective is 3rd person. - How much detail is needed? I was thinking at maximum detail, close terrain would be at 1m*1m but is this too much? - I am planning on using a tile system detailed in GPG2. To get the best speed I suppose I would need a vertex buffer for each tile instead of one for a whole chunk of terrain. I dont think ndex buffers like rendering just 1k verticies with an index range of perhaps over 50k. So I was wondering how large should each tile be? One tile should preferably use the same texture so for quality it is best to keep them small, yet each tile can have a min number of 2 triangles and at a long distance this can add up. - How much terrain should I load up at one time? On earth the horizon is, if I remember correctly, 6km away if you are on flat ground. 2-3km wiuld perhaps be a good distance to cut it and fog the rest out, but on a slope you would want a much greater distance. How much would be respectable? - How much of a bitmap resolution should I use? If the max resolution is 1 meter I could have 1 pixel representing 4 meters and interpolate for the other values with a spline or something. - Should I render everything according to the position of the player? If I do this there will be a greater floating point presision close by the player and things would get ridiculous after moving several kilometers. Thanks.

Another question: (else known as a bump with an excuse)
Are volume textures worth looking into for a terrain engine? It would make steep slopes look a good deal less streched yet they are memory hungry. I was thinking something like a 256*256*64 volume texture may be sufficient because slopes are generally a good deal less than 45 degrees. Would this be a good idea or is it better to stick to 2D ones?