Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wintermute01

Alpha Blending using Pixel Shader

Hi! I am using Pixel Shader in my current project. I''m still learning all the stuff, so forgive me this stupid question! I''m trying to implement Alpha Blending, but actually I don''t know how to do it... The following Shader should render a 50% transparent green: ''begin shader'' ps_2_0 def c0, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.5f mov oC0, c0 ''shader end'' But pixels become completely opaque instead! What am I doing wrong? Thanks Christoph

Add
SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE,true);
SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND,D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);
SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND,D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA);

But doing this he is using the fixed pipeline (T&L), not the pixel shader. This is just as fine, but he should remove the shader - it''s not in use any more.

Sorry if this is obvious

Real programmers don''t comment their code, it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand

quote:
Original post by Qpeg
But doing this he is using the fixed pipeline (T&L), not the pixel shader. This is just as fine, but he should remove the shader - it''s not in use any more.

Sorry if this is obvious

I think you may be mistaking SetRenderState for SetTextureStageState here...

I''d suggest taking another look at the D3D pipeline DirectX SDK documentation, in particular the diagram located at (assuming DX9):

DirectX C++ ->
DirectX Graphics ->
Programming Guide ->
Getting Started with Direct3D ->
Direct3D Architecture ->
Architectural Overview for Direct3D

AND

DirectX C++ ->
DirectX Graphics ->
Programming Guide ->
Programmable Pipeline ->
Integration of Pixel Shaders into the Graphics Pipeline

You''ll notice that alpha blending with the frame buffer along with things such as stencil test, depth test and alpha test happen *AFTER* any pixel shader or fixed function texture blending involvement and are *separate* from pixel shaders.

4x500

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Not shure who you are talking to, S1CA, but if its me I need to clear up my previous statement.

What I meant was that the original post got an answer that, I believe, does not fix the transparency problem in the shader program itself. The result may look similar, ofcourse, because (again, I believe) he would be using the T&L to do the alpha blending.
What I wanted to point out, was that the pixel shader was still broken, and that if the T&L blending was satisfactory, he should disable the ps.

Now, I may be very wrong here, but I can not see how
SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE,true);
SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND,D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);
SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND,D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA);
can affect the pixel shaders blending attempt! (this is at least how _I_ enable alpha blending in my programs, and I am not using any ps/vs (not yet, at least))

Any comments are welcome, have I misunderstood something here?

Real programmers don''t comment their code, it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand