Solution for NbrOfPosts abusing (maybe)

Started by
27 comments, last by WitchLord 23 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by null_pointer

Kylotan: I didn''t know there was a page like that either...EGADS! I''m in the Top 25, too. #8...not bad...

I Have No Life. Still, if I helped just 1 newbie finish a game with my advice, that makes it all worthwhile. That also makes that newbie more successful than me!

quote:OK, rather than being cynical I''ll post a suggestion: let''s rate posts on their length.

Heh, the Exceptions thread alone should see us at Positions 1 and 2 on that system. I say do it!

I don''t mind some sort of voting system. Perhaps instead of some really subjective sliding scale, where some voters will always vote extreme values and others will use more middling values, skewing the results, just have a check box for "Did you find this post informative or useful" for each member''s post, and then the percentage of useful posts for each member can be displayed as some sort of rank.
Advertisement
Just in case anyone thinks otherwise, I HAVE been reading and considering the suggestions here. Let me say though that any changes are a little while off. Before we make the changes to the forums software that will allow some kind of ranking system, we want to wipe out all the existing bugs. But, it will get done eventually.
quote:Original post by Witchbound

And no, I don''t think the lamers will start posting more useless answers just to seem more helpful. Because even they must know that useless answers only makes them look worse.

Yeah, to you and me an 4,997 other people that makes sense. But to them? Surely you jest. They are already making fools of themselves -- why would they stop when they have an easier method plopped down right in front of them? And they have a persona of "goodness" to go along with it...

Case in point: politics

You really want that voting system implemented here?

quote:Original post by Kylotan

Heh, the Exceptions thread alone should see us at Positions 1 and 2 on that system. I say do it!

Hehe I agree! ...who is in position 1?

(I actually didn''t realize that until after I thought of the post-length-ranking idea! That''s why I said: ...uh...no...let''s just skip it, ok?)

quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino

Let me say though that any changes are a little while off. Before we make the changes to the forums software that will allow some kind of ranking system, we want to wipe out all the existing bugs. But, it will get done eventually.

You guys must be really busy, so good luck!

(right...they''re just busy...that''s why they haven''t posted my follow-up article in...months... )

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

(right...they''re just busy...that''s why they haven''t posted my follow-up article in...months... )

Your article will likely be up next week. I was horribly busy with "real life" throughout April, so I got really behind with the articles. There are actually a few I received before yours that I still need to post. I''m trying to put up a new article every 2 days to clear out the massive backlog.

Original post by Witchbound

Maybe I should register Witchbound as well

quote:

You really want that voting system implemented here?

Yes, I think it would be a fun thing to have on a message board like this. Kind of like the Oscars (without the statuette, of course). It is not for me though, because I think that my presence here will most likely dwindle to a minimum now that I have landed myself a job. Besides it would be a whole lot meaningful than counting the number of posts.

- Witchbound

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

How''z about this?

Add a checkbox to the posting form which you check only if you think you are genuinely helping someone. These ''flagged'' messages are the only ones included in the ''post count'', and are highlighted in some manner. In this way, people trying to accumulate posts will either be genuinely helpful, or exposed as counterfeit Martyrs (or whatever) to the entire GD community !!!

Personally, I''d be happy if you could limit my status to Martyr if I ever contribute enough, just so that my posts appear as:

Marty
Martyr

Marty
I don''t think flagging your own messages is an adequate solution. Deliberate abuse aside, never underestimate the human capacity for self-deception.

null_pointer: if getting in the hall of fame means that you stop helping, then most likely you don''t belong there in the first place.
quote:Original post by Marty

How''z about this?

Add a checkbox to the posting form which you check only if you think you are genuinely helping someone. These ''flagged'' messages are the only ones included in the ''post count'', and are highlighted in some manner. In this way, people trying to accumulate posts will either be genuinely helpful, or exposed as counterfeit Martyrs (or whatever) to the entire GD community !!!

Personally, I''d be happy if you could limit my status to Martyr if I ever contribute enough, just so that my posts appear as:

Marty
Martyr

Marty

Yes, I like that idea I would like to stay a saint though. It''s fun twisting it arround and calling it a saintanist.

------------------------
Captured Reality.
I think that voting for the person who seemed to help the most would be a good idea (maybe the rank could be "King of GameDev"

"I code therefore I am"
-Some programmer
"I code therefore I am" -Some programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement