• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WitchLord

Solution for NbrOfPosts abusing (maybe)

This topic is 6989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I have a solution to the problem: change all the rank names so that they are repulsive, like nerd, dork, moron, idiot, etc. and then everyone won''t care about who has what title. That might keep everyone from posting at all though...

Anyway, it really doesn''t seem worth bothering about to me. I post because I like to interact with the people here, and feel I can add something to the discussion. If someone would try to post just to get a better title and sound more important, it would just make me laugh to think how utterly pointless that is. Is anyone really bored (or stupid) enough to do that here?

If I were running the forums though I might be a bit more concerned.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

I think you should scrap the post statuses all together and use the space where the rank is to put a persons speciality. e.g. Artist, designer, 3d programmer etc. This would at least tell you how knowledgeable a person is in a certain area instead of whether they have a comfy chair in the gamedev forums. I would much rather I had

Kazan
D3D programmer
than have

Kazan
Dedicated

written next to all my posts.

-- Kazan - Fire Mountain Games --

Good point.

It just occurred to me that the real problem isn't the rank under the names. It is the "Top 25 Active Posters" in the forum stats. If you remove that statistic no one would care about the number of posts anymore, probably.

---

I realize that the above suggestion, that I began this topic with would require too much attention and work by the busy GameDev staff. So now I instead propose a monthly vote for the best forum member, where everyone gets to nominate their candidates and then everyone can vote for the one they felt has helped them the most. The member that wins this vote can get a rank of 'member of the month', or something. This if anything would inspire people to do their best to help everyone.

As I'm just dying to get some attention and as I think I have a fair chance at winning such a vote, I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Wouldn't you all agree?

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on May 23, 2000 7:38:38 PM

How relevant is the slashdot moderation system? It works per thread, which is fine when your threads are 100+ posts long, but most of the threads here top off at 10 posts.

But really, I recognize almost everyone here by name and have some sort of notion of what kind of person/how knowledgable they are without the ranks. (Though WitchLord == Spellbound caught me off guard. Should have known by the matrix math posts. ) Other than getting a small kick out of the passing noteriety from being first to sainthood and the only avatar, I don't notice the ranks anymore.

Admittedly, given the option, there are a few people who I would more than willingly moderate down.

Which brings me to the thought, if we have a member of a month, why not have a "Lamer of the Month", too? (Ok, I'm feeling a little petty, but it's been that kind of day.)

And if we do have a "Member of the Month" vote, consider disqualifying winners from being member of the month in consequtive months (or maybe a two month timeout). That'll give the second place people a chance the next month. Or permanently disqualify select "Hall of Fame" members.

Edited by - SiCrane on May 24, 2000 1:01:04 AM

quote:
Original post by WitchLord

It just occurred to me that the real problem isn''t the rank under the names. It is the "Top 25 Active Posters" in the forum stats. If you remove that statistic no one would care about the number of posts anymore, probably.

There''s a Forum Stats page? *goes away and looks* Oh my, I''m number 4! Sad me

You learn a new thing every day. (Guess who doesn''t pay much attention...)

Since no one either saw my post or wants to answer me, I suppose that people who post for that "reason" actually exist.

Kylotan: I didn''t know there was a page like that either...EGADS! I''m in the Top 25, too. #8...not bad...

WitchLord: I didn''t know you were Spellbound!

Kazan: I don''t think that would work either, because people just wouldn''t be honest. Newbies would unwittingly put something like "Guru" or something similar in their description because they are so hopeful. How would that help? The newbies - the ones who need the most help and know the least - wouldn''t have a clue who was lying and who was telling the truth. Also, how could you put down multiple skills?

SiCrane: If you are permanently removing people from the voting (hall-of-famers), then you would put a permanent mark or icon beside their name, right? I''d hate to be a hall-of-famer if that just disqualifies me from further winning...er...um...helping.

MENTAL: If you really didn''t care about rank, you wouldn''t be posting just to get rank.

Anyway, I don''t like the voting idea -- people are getting enough attention for their posts as it is. While it might change people, I don''t think it''ll turn the lamers into helpful people. (That''s just wishful thinking...) They''ll post for attention regardless, probably trying to "help" the most people by posting quick (and painfully obvious and stupid) suggestions in every thread they see... It might do more harm than good.

OK, rather than being cynical I''ll post a suggestion: let''s rate posts on their length. No, that wouldn''t work either...lamers would just hold down a key for a minute and then post...or worse yet, they would spend even more time talking about what they don''t know.

I think that the only forum where these lamers exist in great numbers is the Lounge. Perhaps if you changed the rules there, it would have a greater effect than a change in the voting system. Something like: "You can post about anything you want, so long as it''s related to game development." That wouldn''t work either -- people would still post about the worship of ketchup...

Here''s a REALLY good idea though: per-forum ranks. People who spend all their time in the Lounge and then come into the General and Game Programming forum will find themselves labeled Initiate. Now that makes me smile!

The only problem with that is that the number of posts and ranks must be reset (or could you do a search on all the previous posts on the server, and adjust the ranks accordingly?) Perhaps this would require more resources on the server, but I think it''s the only way to solve the problem.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

Not many knew about me being Spellbound in my previous incarnation It''s not like I have made a public announcement of the fact. A few people figured it out by themselves, most notably those that I had helped before. (Maybe my two accounts could be merged into one, so that I too can have ''Avatar'' status )

Anyway, I actually think that the ''member of the month'' vote would be a fun thing to have. Of course it should probably be modified a little so that the best member (who ever it is) can''t hold the status forever.

Besides, I''m afraid that SiCrane would steal my position as ''member of the month''. Even though we seldom cross paths he manages to get as many posts in as me, some of which must come to some good.

Perhaps we could excange the ''top 25 active posters'' statistics for the ''top 25 helpful members''. Where you get a point on this scale if you are voted for in the ''member of the month'' vote.

And no, I don''t think the lamers will start posting more useless answers just to seem more helpful. Because even they must know that useless answers only makes them look worse.

null_pointer did give me an idea though, how about if we just stopped counting the posts made in the GDLounge. It is after all there the majority of the useless posts are made. Why should we count those? Nobody wants to know how much nonsense people can talk.

- WitchLord

SpellBound...I did it again...Witchlord:

Ok, I understand your system now. I like it. I everyone should vote for me though. I never posted on useless threads like "uh, no" and I''m always soo technical. Seriously though, I think they should make a forum that doesn''t effect your status like what I described in my thread in the lounge, "let''s talk about NOTHING@gamedev!" I''ve held myself back from lotsa useless posts.

?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!