Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heightmap LOD

This topic is 5401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I'm busy loading heightmaps. For my heigtmaps I don't want to use any poly's that are not needed (mutch). To acomplish this i do the following. * I divide my map into 4 pieces. * I calculate an error for each piece (how mutch does it look like the heightmap if i just render this piece as one quad?) * If the error is too big I divide the piece into four pieces again. * I render all the pieces as triangle fan's, so I don't get cracks: Left one has a crack, right one doesn't: |\../|\/|\/|.............|\../|\/|\/| |.\/.|/\|/\|.............|.\/_|/\|/\| |./\.|\/|\/|.............|./\.|\/|\/| |/..\|/\|/\|.............|/..\|/\|/\| (ignore the dots, I dont know how to use the fancy scroll boxes in my message, so I can't use spaces.) otherwise there would be holes in the landscape... My problem is simple. how do i make a good structure (tree) to put these in? I have the type piece: typedef struct piece { float error; GLubyte fan; // one bit for every line of the fan, clockwise. // In the example above (left) it would be 01010101 // and the better version (right) 01110101 (to avoid the crack) }piece; If the error is too big the layer should contain four more layers. How do I define a type that can contain four more of itself whitout overloading the memory? pointers maybe? typedef struct piece { float error; GLubyte fan; piece* piece1; piece* piece2; piece* piece3; piece* piece4; }piece; Thanx! Marty [edited by - Marty666 on March 2, 2003 12:26:53 PM] [edited by - Marty666 on March 2, 2003 12:28:11 PM] [edited by - Marty666 on March 2, 2003 12:29:39 PM]

This should work:

struct piece
{
float error;
GLubyte fan;
struct piece * piece1;
struct piece * piece2;
struct piece * piece3;
struct piece * piece4;
};

typedef struct peice Piece;