Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long takes C++ to learn?

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I mainly asked, becouse I''m 20 and I''d like to know how long did it took you guys to learn it basically. So! can I just give it up or do I have a shot? I started studying C++ three month ago and I feel it''s gonna take me ages to learn it. Thanks!

It is worth gold to just go through a book with exercies. And then I mean go through and not think about 50% of the exercises as "I can write this program, so I''ll take another one"...

It depends on your previous education. As a CS student with some experience, it took me a few weeks to make the transition to C++; after about 6 months of proper use I''m fairly fluent.

Without prior programming experience, it might take you longer, but with some effort you''ll be a capable C++ programmer in under a year. All the tips and tricks... that''s a lifetime task.

And working around its problems... that''ll take you to your grave

quote:
Original post by Enselic
It is worth gold to just go through a book with exercies. And then I mean go through and not think about 50% of the exercises as "I can write this program, so I''ll take another one"...

Well, I skipped more than half of exercises in the beggining, but then I didn''t understand more.... The I read the book again and did all the exercises (even the obviest ones like "Write a program who asks the name of the person and write in the output: "Hello, name") I could go on and now I dont need the help of the book to do Text-Based Games.

DON''T SKIP THE EXERCISES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hello, I will just share some of my own experencie

I had been programming a bit here and a bit there in Pascal, C++
some two years, but never really delved into either of them.
But then I decided to give C++ a better shot a year ago, first
mastering the basics in console and then start to create some bigger projects, and that''s my best tip, to try to later on creating and DESIGNING your own projects. ..just start off small and try not to complicate things at first.

I nowadays try to devote at least 4-5 hours a day to programming, but then it''s just not Extending my C++ knowledge but also Win 32 programming and some other stuff that interests me like Win32 assembly.

However I belive it differs from people to people how long it takes to learn any language, and it sureley depends on the amount of work you are willing to put in to it.
I also felt it to be hard at first but when I devoted more time to it, pieces suddenly come to place bit by bit.
Then to become a good programmer takes years of hard work and
I''m walking that long path right now!
My own goal is to apply for a job in the buisness next year after finished off some more computer- and math courses.

Maybe some who''s already in the buisness can tell more.

Good Luck!

Well I think it depends. I have heard some people just took 6 months lo learn it completly, and others take longer. It may depend of your experience with computers and programming, if you are a good learner, but anyway I dont think 20 it''s too old to start. I have being with c++ like 2 years and still forget some of the advanced stuff

Took me about 3 months from zero experience to get a firm grasp on the basics of C++ / OOP. Have been learning something new every time I touch it. Basicly, if you don''t finish, you will never know how long it takes you. Either way, learning something new isn''t a waste of time, it is just the opposite. Good luck to you.

GRELLIN

~CGP~

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by zerorender
So! can I just give it up or do I have a shot?

Nope, just give up. It''s no use. And I''m not just saying that because the job market stinks and I want to get rid of the competition. j/k
quote:

I started studying C++ three month ago and I feel it''s gonna take me ages to learn it.

It *does* take ages to learn. Years, usually. (Whoever says it takes a couple of weeks don''t know enough to know how little they know.) But it''s also extremely rewarding when you eventually do learn it. In other words, don''t give up!

Just as with about anything in life, you can learn the basics in a short time but true mastery takes a lifetime. You could learn basics such as the syntax, looping, classes, templates, etc. in a short time (1-3 months) ,but becoming truly proficient could take many years.

There are so many features and uses for C++ that no one person can master them all. You should decide what particular area interests you and concentrate your efforts there.

Even if you limit C++ uses to just what game programmers need there are still so many areas of specialty: AI, physics, tools developement, sound/mucis, graphics, etc.

[edited by - yspotua on March 2, 2003 2:35:35 PM]