POLL: Most difficult part do code in a game?

Started by
28 comments, last by Enselic 21 years, 1 month ago
getting started and rifining it at the end
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
It''s not a very meaningful question. Any part...

It is atleast more meaningful than complain and then be a coward and post anonymously. [offensive]Grow up.[/offensive]

[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
The last 10% of the game, and optimizing the game...
It''s a real pain in the ass sometimes

// Jonas Ericsson
// Jonas Ericsson
Probably working on graphics code with coder art, because no matter how well I code it still lokks crap
90%+ rehusable/scalable/portable code for a game engine.

[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Everything that occurs AFTER most of the code is done. Like balancing, level design, play testing, etc. The coding is the fun part (IMO). Its the non-coding that has to be done that is tedious and boring.

Makes me wish we could get someone else to do all that...but I don''t work for a big game company so I have to eat the good with the bad.
The difficult part is to keep focused and finding spare time . If you can keep focused on FINISHING your game, then you''ll be alright. Nowadays, you can find a tutorial on just about anything, so coding isn''t the hard part. It becomes difficult if you can''t keep organized, and keep focused on the orignal idea, and you start going off-track, then all of the sudden that game you wanted to write, turned into a "tech-demo" and is useless to you know outside of the reusable parts, so you start a new game, with these new features... then same thing happens again .
quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
The difficult part is to keep focused and finding spare time . If you can keep focused on FINISHING your game, then you''ll be alright. Nowadays, you can find a tutorial on just about anything, so coding isn''t the hard part. It becomes difficult if you can''t keep organized, and keep focused on the orignal idea, and you start going off-track, then all of the sudden that game you wanted to write, turned into a "tech-demo" and is useless to you know outside of the reusable parts, so you start a new game, with these new features... then same thing happens again .

Exactly what I meant. I have about a thousand different single-tech demos made by me, but in the ~7 years I''ve been programming for fun, I''ve only finished one game so far. I''ve made 2 or 3 utilities in addition to that, and everything else is unfinished and on hold. Another problem I have is deciding on a heirarchy for everything. So far I''ve done it different in just about every one of the 1000 ''tech-demos'' I''ve made.

----------
Almost typo-ified using Extrarius'' AUTOMATIC Typo Generator, but I decided to be nice =-)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Any part of your code that goes ''tits up'' when you have a
HD crash. That''s always difficult to code.

The hardest part about coding ITSELF, tho, is keeping interested.
Especially on one-man projects.

-Hyatus
"da da da"
quote:Original post by duhroach
Smoothing out the rendering pipeline.
Keeping FPS up with computations of lighting/shadowing
External Editors (map/particle)
Expandable design
Keeping up with the next gen of graphics

I bet you love graphics programming (nothing wrong with that though I like it too) oh well I guess this is not just graphics... also algo''s.

I think those algo''s are the hard (and interesting) part. Applies on everything: for a terrain you need LOD and frustum culling for example. You really have to think REAL GOOD about how these are made as fast as possible. This also applies on things like AI, collision detection, etc. etc.

Making these fast is the key. All the things like applying shaders etc can be learned. But this cannot be learned. You gotta develop it, and nobody is perfect at it I guess.

Oh well this is the same as optimizing except with optimizing you already have something to start with

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement