• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fullscreen with SDL

This topic is 5435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having trouble bringing my OpenGL application to fullscreen using SDL. When hitting the F1 key, SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen is called. However, it won''t change to fullscreen.

void ToggleFullScreen(void)
{
    if(SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen(MainWindow) == 0)           
    {
        cerr << "Failed to Toggle Fullscreen mode : " << SDL_GetError() << endl;   
		printf("error");
        Quit(0);
    }
}

That''s what I''m doint. I indeed get the error message, so SDL can''t change to fullscreen. I am using Win32. I read somewhere that this only works on X11 but somehow coudln''t believe it. Anyone knows if that''s true and if yes: Can I at least use GLUT to change to Fullscreen?

Advertisement
According to the SDL docs SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen is only available under X11.
You can try using SDL_SetVideoMode, as suggested by tamatito in the doc page, instead to recreate your main window surface using the appropriate flag (SDL_FULLSCREEN).

[edited by - baumep on March 2, 2003 6:02:33 PM]

In fact, I highly suggest you do NOT use that function. Even under X11, it has problems. I found that it was MUCH easier to simply write my own that did a brand new SetVideoMode.

(oh, and the problem i was having was that I only had a few video modes to work with and when using that function, it switched to the next-highest mode and displayed itself in a box in the middle of the screen. I was using openGL, so I didn''t care about resolution. I enumerated available modes and resized to the bigger size myself. tadaa! no more window in the middle surrounded by black, a nice fullscreen instead.)

Ok thank you guys. I will change the code to change to VideoFlags of SDL_SetVideoMode.

• Advertisement