Graphical engine for a beginning programmer

Started by
6 comments, last by Agape 21 years, 1 month ago
This goes along with my post about the "Network Security Game"...we''re trying to design a game that will have--at this point--pretty basic 3d graphics. Nothing fancy at all. The game will be viewed probalby from an isometric perspective. So, for a newbie in 3d graphical programming (but not in C/C++/Java), what should I try out?
Advertisement
You can use SDL for (Probably very basic) 3d Graphic's, link-->http://www.libsdl.org/

You probably won't want to though.

I've only been using it for 2d Graphic's.

EDIT: BTW: SDL is just a library of Image Function's not an Engine

[edited by - Smacker_626 on March 3, 2003 1:31:03 AM]
For 3D graphics, I'd say you would need to acquire some knowledge about either DirectX, or OpenGL.
I don't know about DirectX, but OpenGL is quite easy to grasp the basics and you can get pretty results quite fast.
A Good book to get would be "OpenGL for Game Programmers". Or check out Nehe's Tutorials. Or Game Tutorials
They have a lot of tutorials which should get you started with 3D quite fast.
OpenGL of course will make your Game protable to other platforms whereas DX is MS dependent.
If you're going to use OpenGL, you will probably want to use SDL too. As OpenGL is Graphics only, SDL will provide everything else, i.e. Audio, Key Input etc... support. The good thing is, SDL runs under all kind of OSes. Just like OpenGL.
Hope this gives you something to start with

[edited by - rizman on March 3, 2003 5:25:32 AM]
I''m begginer with OpenGL and I have a question...
OpenGL Redbook is a good book?
Only have that question....
I think both SDL and OpenGL are good, but I think OpenGL is better to 3D Graphics...
Right, I forgot to mention the RedBook (OpenGL Programming Guide) for OpenGL. Also, there is the BlueBook (OpenGL Rereference) Both are great books. The RedBook is for leraning OpenGL, the BlueBook is just a reference (so don''t use it to learn OpenGL).
If you want to have a look at them: Both are available online. Just google for them.
I have the redbook and I''m iinderstanding it...
Sorry for post so early but here in Portugal, is 12.35
quote:Original post by RizMan
For 3D graphics, I''d say you would need to acquire some knowledge about either DirectX, or OpenGL.
I don''t know about DirectX, but OpenGL is quite easy to grasp the basics and you can get pretty results quite fast.
A Good book to get would be "OpenGL for Game Programmers". Or check out Nehe''s Tutorials. Or Game Tutorials
They have a lot of tutorials which should get you started with 3D quite fast.
OpenGL of course will make your Game protable to other platforms whereas DX is MS dependent.
If you''re going to use OpenGL, you will probably want to use SDL too. As OpenGL is Graphics only, SDL will provide everything else, i.e. Audio, Key Input etc... support. The good thing is, SDL runs under all kind of OSes. Just like OpenGL.
Hope this gives you something to start with

[edited by - rizman on March 3, 2003 5:25:32 AM]

I just browsed through nehe''s tutorials. Is it safe to say that these are THE definitive tutorials on openGL for games? They are incredibly detailed and well-written. Is there an even better source for beginner openGL programmers?

I think it''s a safe bet to say that anyone on these forums who knows OpenGL will say that indeed: Nehe''s Tutorials are the best around.
I browsed through the net and still need to find a tutorial as good as NeHe''s. Indeed, even on the OpenGL Homepage they link to NeHe.
It''s the very first link

So yes, it is save to say that NeHe is THE resource for OpenGL tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement