Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mstein

OpenGL opengl ATI problem

Hi all, I have an application written with the help of GLUT. i used vc98 to create it originally. Now i am running it on VC.net. It builds fine but when i run it i get an error in atioglxx.dll. Now I have no idea what gl function or glut function i am using that could kick this off. Have any of you experienced this. Im running a P4 2.4 Ghz machine with an ATI Radeon 9700 pro. You would think the pro could run my simple little glut application that used to work with my ati rage pro. any help is greatly appreciated. and no i get no meaningful debug output.

Cant offer any ideas for your problem, but ATIs drivers arent exactly top-notch.

Ive got a project sitting on my HD, completely valid code, runs fine on a vast range of hardware... crashed with the same problem you described when I ran it under a Radeon 9500.

Try emailing ATI dev-relations with a copy of your source and an explanation of the problem. They fixed a bug I reported (regarding multipass dot3), so they should be able to help you out with that.

Theyre dev-relations almost makes up for their crappy drivers imo

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

Heh, hey, their drives are MUCH better than they have been in the past. But, why not debug through your code, and see exactly where it is crashing, instead of randomly asking if anyone has had ati driver problems. Find out what''s causing it by debugging as far as you can go, then post up a fragment of your code that pertains to the function that is causing the error, and we can see if it is indeed an ati error, or an error that you are creating, that gets exposed when the ati driver is called.

The debugger only shoots out assembly at me and its the third call in the "debug stack"?? that VS.net shows you:

atioglxx.exe some address
atioglxx.exe some address
some address

Thats all I have to deal with. THe program is pretty large (for me) and has many pieces, so I have not had time to kind of see which area is at fault but I am assuming it has something to do with GLUT.

Any other ideas would be great, I''m not at home right now so I can''t get to the files.

Well, but you should be able to determine after which line you get a crash, i really don''t believe if you say the debugger doesn''t help much. Use breakpoints, comment out the code (piecewise) and look if it still crashes. I''m 99.9999999% sure it''s your fault and not a driver bug.

Like I said, I have not yet had the time to go through the code and comment it out piecewise. What is interesting though to me is that my window does not even open up which is why i was wondering if anyone else had had problems with ATI and i guess more specifically GLUT.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Typically when code crashes at the driver level it is because of a function call being sent the wrong parameters. This usually happens when you don''t have your code set up correctly to check return values or toss in asserts into your code to catch errors before they hit the driver. If you can figure out which call your making by setting a break point in your application and stepping through the rendering process you should be able to determine which line of code is causing the problem and ATI might be able to tell you why it''s happening if you can''t figure it out.

If it crashes in atioglxx.dll, it''s an ATI GL driver problem. We''d definately like to fix it so send an e-mail to devrel@ati.com. Attach the app. If you can provide the source, that would be helpful as well.

thanks for your feedback everyone, i think when i get home today i will do all of the above, try to target the problem myself and at the same time send off an email to ATI. thanks again