rendering human joints

Started by
2 comments, last by thasmin 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi. I am making a skeletal animation system for humans and ran into a problem that I''m looking for help with. I have a moving animated skeleton and a model import but the problem arises when the imported model starts rotating. The various joints which match up perfectly in the standing position show holes when it starts moving. I''ve though of a few solutions, none of which seems to be the "right answer". My best idea is to import a few posed models but this would require a new model for every new pose. Making a model that has joints that rotate well seems very difficult. Another idea is to link the adjacent body parts and force the joints to look seamless by drawing extra polygons. I know there''s a solution because I''ve seen it in almost every game that has people but can''t think of it myself. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Advertisement
I think you are talking about Skinning. They believe they have functions for it in Direct X. However you will need a Skinned model with vertex weights.
Yeah, skinning. I guess that word could have saved me a lot of time. What''s this about vertex weights though? I think this might help solve my problem. I''ll see what I could find about them.
you set up weights at the vertices to say how much the bone influences it, and then you set the matrices for the bones so the vertices are interpolated between the bones at the right weights.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement