mobile phone development?

Started by
6 comments, last by En3my 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi, Now that mobile phone technology is getting better and better, I feel it would be stupid to miss the train. Developing for the PC is fun and all, but I want to try something else. Anyone know where to start if one wants to develop for the mobile market? Any good websites or books available? Thanks!
Advertisement
Try downloading the SDK for the phone. Nokia have them available on their site.
Try http://www.microjava.com

Basically you'll probably want to use the J2ME from sun as most phones (especially Nokia) are using Java.

http://wireless.java.sun.com/

Al

[edited by - CaptainJack on March 3, 2003 8:30:42 AM]
i will take a look! thanks! anyone else with experience from mobile phone (cell) development? i have absolutely no knowledge about it, but as always i''m curious! how do i transfer my code into the phone? can i connect it to the pc? what else do i need other than a phone, a compiler and the sdk to be able to create and transfer my applications?
another question... any cell phone recommendations? i don''t need the most high-tech ones, just something that i can play around with...
if you want to play with odd devices, why not develop for the GBA.. when starting out you can use an emulator, and then get a flash linker later

www.gbadev.org is one place to start..
The best emulator is visualboy advance, google for it
I wrote mobile phone games in my previous summer job so I have some experience with it.
quote:how do i transfer my code into the phone?
I always downloaded them through wap. Just throw the application to any web page and get it from there with wap. It''s not a fast way, but it doesn''t have to be done often since most testing can be done with emulators.
quote:what else do i need other than a phone, a compiler and the sdk to be able to create and transfer my applications?
Emulators. You can test your game easiest with them. But most emulators contain some bugs so testing with the actual thing is important too.

If you''re planning to do anything serious, you''ll also need an obfuscator (e.g. here). They reduce the JAR size, as the JARs can''t be very big. And of course make it harder for others to decompile your programs.
I have developed apps for Palm and WinCE. Both are a good starting point because of the growing trend to merge mobiles and PDAs. I think it''s going to be the way to go. The Palm SDK is free and you can download from www.palmsource.com/developers for WinCE you need VB or VC embedded editions. I think you can also get cut-down versions of these for free too.

''Your theory of a donut shaped universe is intriguing Homer'' - Stephen Hawking

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement