Microphones and Fluffy Teddybears

Started by
10 comments, last by Ganryu 21 years, 1 month ago
I gotta buy myself a decent, not too expensive, microphone and i don't know ANYTHING about microphones. Now, my father claims that different microphones use different resistances (greek omega), ("impedans" in swedish) and a microphone with a different resistance than the soundcard will not work together. Is this true? Do i even need to worry? I'm using a Soundblaster Live. Edit: title change. I hope no one will take offense at the new title. [edited by - Ganryu on March 5, 2003 6:57:53 AM]
Advertisement
I have been a member of this forum for along while and Id have to say that the title of this post is the worst and most juvenile I''ve seen. (Could you try and pretend to be professional)

Id doubt you get any replies.

--------------------------------
#include <a_insomniac.h>

Programmer/Artist
MAD MOTION STUDIOS
http://www.aka-morpheus.com
"...if it aint D3D it aint me"

----------

Sorry i can't change it

I was a little angry when writing that post because i spent ages trying to find a manual in my room. I never found it.

To make matters worse i didn't find "impedans" in the dictionary either.

[edited by - Ganryu on March 3, 2003 9:33:24 AM]
All my microphones have always worked. And I''ve never heard of this ... I would presume that something as simple as a computer mic would be standard by now, but that''s just me ;-)

Joel Martinez
http://www.codecube.net/
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
your pa''s prolly got some experience with ''quality'' recording and shit. a vast selection of mics require the use of phantom power to resolve their high impedance

musician''s friend has a special (yay, special) on the art tube pre-amp for $59, which has phantom power and clean signal.. i use an oktava mk012 which are usually $100-$150 but are a crapshoot in terms of quality control, ie. you might get one that sounds crap.. but mine''s nice and crisp. also use a rode nt1 condenser, which tends to capture more with a ''live'' feel, but isn''t always the best choice.

on the cheap, i''d buy a little piezo mic for .50c at radio shack. very clean and sensitive, might say crystal or electret on them. personally i''d be extremely reluctant to spend anythnig more on a mic that didn''t require phantom power.

aargh! i just want to wallow in the scorn of church style people.
neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net
quote:Original post by xoxos
your pa''s prolly got some experience with ''quality'' recording and shit. a vast selection of mics require the use of phantom power to resolve their high impedance

musician''s friend has a special (yay, special) on the art tube pre-amp for $59, which has phantom power and clean signal.. i use an oktava mk012 which are usually $100-$150 but are a crapshoot in terms of quality control, ie. you might get one that sounds crap.. but mine''s nice and crisp. also use a rode nt1 condenser, which tends to capture more with a ''live'' feel, but isn''t always the best choice.

on the cheap, i''d buy a little piezo mic for .50c at radio shack. very clean and sensitive, might say crystal or electret on them. personally i''d be extremely reluctant to spend anythnig more on a mic that didn''t require phantom power.

aargh! i just want to wallow in the scorn of church style people.

Thanks! :D

I don''t need super quality... Just better than the pos mic that came with the soundcard :D
NT-1/NT-2''s are pretty expensive and fragile. I do simple demo work (guitar/vocals) with simply a Shure SM-58 plugged straight into the SBLive. It''s pretty low-cost as well.

I guess it depends on what you''ll use it for?
quote:Original post by llyod
NT-1/NT-2''s are pretty expensive and fragile. I do simple demo work (guitar/vocals) with simply a Shure SM-58 plugged straight into the SBLive. It''s pretty low-cost as well.

I guess it depends on what you''ll use it for?

I''ll do some voice samples for a game mod.
Get a shure sm58 in that case, they''re not too expensive, but are well worth the money
Not too expensive? Mine was £99, which I got for xmas, though I could have afforded it regardless (Due to an unfortunate inheritance).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement