Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for input API

This topic is 5403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm actually working on a game engine. We use openGL to render graphics. We use openAL to render sounds. And we actually use the windows API to do the input management. I would like to use a non OS specific API to use input (mouse, joystick and keyboard). But I don't find any which is "good" for me, I'd want something specific to input (not like sdl or glut or...). So, if anyone know an API for a such thing, please tell me... thanks Redge [edited by - Redge on March 3, 2003 1:30:53 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think there is a project on sourceforge called OpenIL that does what you want. I dont know how developed it is.(its name kind of confusing because DevIL is sometimes called OpenIL)
I dont know whats wrong with SDL. You have the option to just initialize input. And, I cant see why you would try to write cross platform, but not benefit from other things SDL does. Another good one i think is GLFW, and maybe AllegroGL. I have never used those, though. I would never use glut. I have read some source that used glut and it just disappoints me.
SDL ROXXORS!!11

Thanks 4 all

Redge

PS. I don''t want to use SDL cause I know me. If I use SDL for the input, I''ll look for others artefacts of SDL, so, I''ll test it, I''ll use it, I''ll play with it, and finally I''ll loose a lot of time...

So, I just want something specific for the Input

Thanks again

Redge