Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Net Yaroze

This topic is 5052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone here own a net yaroze psx? are they worth the money? im thinking of getting one, from ebay, but i dont know if it would be worth it to get it i would like to develop/program games when im older(im 16/17, and dont know much programming, only a bit of c++) and i think that this would be an invalubale tool for this reason, i dont realy want to get the ps2 dev kit, die to the fact that it is alotmore exp. + i would prefer to start at the beginnin, and work my way up... any help would be welcomed, thanks in advance *edit: spellin, in title: 'zaroze' instead of 'Yaroze'
My head speaks a language i dont understand. [edited by - gameplayer on March 3, 2003 9:44:55 AM]

Hello,

When you talk about the PS2 devkit I assume you are talking about the proper thing which would be a lot more expensive, if you can actually get one at all.

Have you looked at the Ps2 Linux Kit? Its linux for the PS2 (obviously!) a hard drive, network adaptor keyboard and mouse in a kit. You also get a large majority of the official developer docs and stuff. Probably cheaper than getting a yaroze. That is if you already have a PS2. Its $199 for the kit, or 249 euros if your in europe.

Here''s the comunity site:

http://playstation2-linux.com/

or the faq:

http://playstation2-linux.com/faq.php

Tempted in getting gone myself. Had a look at the developer docs and it looks quite interesting.

Perhaps someone who has used / has one can shed more light.

Cheers,

Dave

no i did mean the linux kit, sorry, i know what you mean though...

you can get the dev kit 4 ps2, but it costs loads(a good few thousands, and the rest...) plus you need to be a proper company, with a sony lisence, which costs loads more

or thats what i read/heard, if you go to this:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=140104

they have somone, Liquidus4, talkin bout tutorials for the ps2 linux kit

My head speaks a language i dont understand.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have a net Yaroze which at the time i think was great value, it cost me £150 second hand four years ago, ive heard theyre worth a lot more now. they are pretty easy to get into for an inexperienced programmer, and if you wanted to get a finished title published on this old system it would in theory still be possible today, but it would have to be a killer app for anyone to take notice. alternatively you could buy a game boy advance emulator and use some of the free development software available for that, and start working on gba games. If you were more experienced you would probably be better off learning to program directx and making pc games because then you wont have the problem of the technology dieing before youve had chance to finish a game

Guest Anonymous Poster
GBA is a great platform to get into console game programming, plus it''s free if you just run your stuff in an emulator when starting out instead of getting flash cards + flasher (you will want to do this after a while though).

look at www.gbadev.org

I've got a Net Yaroze. Got it last year for 200 quid on Ebay. They're a lot of fun, and it's quite easy to create simple games with, but to be honest I don't use it that much anymore. I found the libraries to be very restrictive in terms of what you can do with them. It seems to be impossible to do seemingly simple things, such as read a file from CD or make the pads vibrate. I managed to find documentation for a newer version of the yaroze libraries, that had these features, but I couldn't actually find the new versions of these libraries, even on the yaroze site.

If I were you, I'd get a dreamcast. You can get them really cheap now, and it's quite easy to make your own games with. There's a lot of good open source library support for it. The libraries are so good that you can get a simple mp3/ogg player running with just a few hours work.

You can develop on PC, and transfer your code to the dreamcast using serial cable, or you can try to find a broadband adapter on ebay, (expensive but a lot faster) and transfer your code over a network connection.

You can even burn your game onto CD, put it into the console and have it run, because the copy protection on dreamcast isn't that good.

As for the Yaroze, if I didn't have one already I'd still get one, but that's probably more because I enjoyed using them at university so much. If all you want is to do some console programming, then the dreamcast or gameboy advance is your cheapest option.

[edited by - Oxyacetylene on February 11, 2004 8:26:33 AM]

I have to agree completely with Oxyacetylene. Oxy, are you studying the Computer Games Technology degree at Abertay University by any chance? I just graduated from that a year ago, and we had several Net Yaroze projects as part of our course.

Like Oxy, I found the libraries to be far too restrictive and the documentation didn''t always match up with how the libraries worked. The libs & docs you get with the Yaroze are nothing like the ones you get with a ''real'' devkit.

Also, it might interest you to know you can do home Playstation development on a normal PSX. You can get one of the old Action Replay cartridges with a serial / parallel connector and there are some free libs and compilers found floating around on the net. However, if you really want to do console programming, I''d steer clear of PSX and go for Dreamcast or GBA, as there are more libs, tutorials, and other people devving for them so you''ll get lots more help.

Cheers,
Ben H

quote:
Original post by Hinch
I have to agree completely with Oxyacetylene. Oxy, are you studying the Computer Games Technology degree at Abertay University by any chance? I just graduated from that a year ago, and we had several Net Yaroze projects as part of our course.

Close, I graduated from Bsc Computing (games development) at Abertay in 2002. It's basically the computing degree but with a couple of games modules tacked on. It's nowhere near as good as the games tech degree, but we did get to do some Yaroze programming in 4th year which got me hooked on console programming.

To the OP, if you're interested in dreamcast programming, then here are some sites to check out.

DC Emulation forums
http://www.boob.co.uk
http://dev.dcemulation.com/
http://mc.pp.se/dc/sw.html

[edited by - Oxyacetylene on February 11, 2004 8:41:13 AM]

quote:
Original post by Oxyacetylene

Close, I graduated from Bsc Computing (games development) at Abertay in 2002. It''s basically the computing degree but with a couple of games modules tacked on. It''s nowhere near as good as the games tech degree, but we did get to do some Yaroze programming in 4th year which got me hooked on console programming.

Ah cool, so are you working at one of the gamedevs in Dundee now, or do you have a ''proper'' job? I ended up at Computer Artworks until they went bust, now I''m at Bits but thinking of moving back to Dundee cause London''s waaay too expensive!

And regarding loading files from CD (a vain attempt to keep on-topic!), several of us nearly failed courseworks because of that naff documentation! We all did our development on ''home-made'' Yaroze''s where, funnily enough, the CD file loading functions work fine - exaclty like they should according to the docs! But we never tested them on real Yarozes (silly us!) and didn''t find out that the files wouldn''t load until after we''d submitted the courseworks. Never did find a solution to that - you''ll have to stick with slow serial loading unless you use a homemade devkit rather than the official Yaroze.

Cheers,

Ben H

I''m currently working as a mission scripter for a local games company. I won''t say which one, cause then I feel I''d have to limit what I say on the boards or put a disclaimer in my posts "my opinion is not the opinion of (company name)... blah blah etc.."

Still, there''s only two or three big games companies in Dundee, so that narrows it down quite a bit without specifying which one it is.