Questions on 2D tile vs. isometric

Started by
5 comments, last by ChrisAndBear 21 years, 1 month ago
I''m working on a pocket mosters/Dragon Warrior Monsters clone, and I''m not sure which would be better to use, an isometric engine or a tile engine. I don''t really care for 3D right now, as it''s still too choppy. Also, does anyone know of any links to some 2D tile and isomorphic game engines with source code for dl so I have a good point of reference. I''ve set up some code using Visual Studio .NET, but I''m still not sure about a few items. The AI part is pretty good as well, but since I don''t have much practice with DiurectX, any info would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Tile engine is FAR easier to make, but it is VERY easy to see
that it all is based on a normal tile map..! It jus''t doesn''t
look god at all... If you make it isometric you give it some
sort of debth! It also removes the strange feel of it all is
placed on a 100% geometric way...
Yea, it looks like it''ll end up being an isometric engine.

The one question I have right now is, if we have a listing of the monsters in the game, and I already have all the data for them, is using a predefined array a good idea, or should it be in a outside file?
It really depends on if you want your game to have a level editor of some kind where you can change almost every aspect of your game ala an isometric Morrowind clone.

My opinion is that loading data from files is better since you don''t have to recompile every time you want to change something...
uhm ... some stupid question on 2D vs Iso .....

is that possible to obtain the isometric effect (dept, etc), with 2D tile system using iso sprite (rotated 30 deg) ???

ps : sorry ChrisAndBear,i know this is your topic ,i just wondering coz the topic is about 2D vs iso.

[edited by - teguhab on March 6, 2003 10:27:05 AM]
Sure (i think)
I do this...
All my tiles are just normal 2d tiles that are shaped as a flat diamod. (you know) and have a transparent color around it...
Ofcourse it is, how do you think all the OLD games, like Head over Heels (which is still on my most wanted list btw), were made? Hardly using 3D gfx

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement