Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shadoyf

video game screen resolution

hello, i''m kind of new to this whole thing. i''m trying to learn about the in''s and out''s of video game programming. i am comeing from a 3d animation and video production back ground. so i was wondering if some of the more experianced users on this forum could maybe help me a little bit and give me a run down of vocabulary words for video game programing. also what are the main screen resolutions for video game programing. i was wondering so when i start to do the story board i can get it in the right aspect ratio. thanks -luke galutia

given the wide variety of hardware combinations present on today's computers, anything from 640x480 to 2048x1536 and higher is possible. To accomodate users with varying equipment, you should design your game to be independent of the actual resolution it runs on, and support at least the above resolution range.

example: i play quake on 2048x1536 on my desktop with a geforce3 and a 21" monitor, while i play 4x4 evo2 on my laptop with a radeon 7500 and a 14" lcd panel on 640x480.

typical resolutions would be 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200 - all at 4:3 aspect ratio. but don't count wide-screen monitor users out either.

[edited by - niyaw on March 3, 2003 10:16:58 AM]