Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kirkd

RPCRT4.dll and VB6 installer

Not exactly game related, but sort of. I developed my very first Break Out style game using VB and the guidance of Visual Basic Game Programming with DirectX by Jonathan Harbour. My game didn''t use any DirectX but just the Win32 API (first 10 chapters). On to the question, I developed an installer using the Deployment Wizard which I''ve done hundreds of times before. When run on a naive machine (Win98), the installer said there was need to update some files and restart. I''ve seen this before, so I agreed and ran the installer without any complaints. Now, however, I am unable to open a file from Windows explorer about 50% of the time. If I double click on a Word document or Excel spreadsheet (PowerPoint, too), I get an illegal operation. The dialog says "WinWord caused an illegal operation in RPCRT4.dll..." 1) What is RPCRT4.dll and why am I crunching on it suddenly? 2) Can I fix this situation without reinstalling Windows on this machine? Thank you for any advice. -Kirk

Try downloading mcrepair.exe from the MS website. It fixes some problems with RPC related files. It worked for me but the errors I were getting were not quite the same as yours. Try it anyway.

''Your theory of a donut shaped universe is intriguing Homer'' - Stephen Hawking

Sailor,

The fix you suggested worked. Thank you for the advice!! It seems the update that the VB installer pushed was an incompatible set of OLE drivers.

-Kirk