So happy! :D

Started by
12 comments, last by Drevay 21 years, 1 month ago
Yep, I''m ever so happy, finishing the grade 11 QuickBASIC manual today, and will be moving onto Microsoft VBASIC, this is great. Considering I thought I could never learn programming, now that I''ve got the general idea of modular programming and variables, I think I''m even ready to move on to C, or C++. By the way, don''t laugh when I ask this (please >.>), but, can you program and compile C programs in a C++ compiler, such as Bloodshed Dev C++ 4.0...? I have always wondered that :C Oh, and when I tried to upgrade to Dev C++ 4.01, it seems that I always mess it up somehow, and errors occur saying files are missing and such, maybe I should just replace the .ini...or maybe I should just replace the .exe? I''m..not sure..any help? Oh, and, should I start with C, then go to C++,.....sorry for all of the newbie questions...I''m usually pretty quiet about things like this...but...I just need some good advice is all Well, later :D Of course that''''s just my opinion, I could be wrong. -)(-Dennis Miller-)(-
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Advertisement
Yes, you can compile C code in a C++ compiler.
And yes, you should better start with C.

Victor.
c[_]~~
Oooooh. No!!! Don''t start with C. See the post "Transition from c to c++ , difficulty."
You don''t need to start with C at all.

Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo is a good book if you can afford it.

Or make this online book your friend. Work through it bit by bit. Don''t treat it as bad information because it''s not a bound book. Read it like you mean it. Work through the links on the left of its page.

Or both.

All the best with your studies.

Pete
Despite whatever difficulty you might have transitioning- just in case the game programmer thing doesn't work out knowing standard C is good, especially if you have to do any programming in UNIX environments (since they generally don't like/don't use C++, at least in my experience). That's not to say that you shouldn't learn C++ (since it's used in many different areas), but I think a good foundation in C is very useful.

And even if the programmer thing does work out, there are plenty of cases where you would use C and not C++, for example on the Game Boy Advance (I know this first-hand...C++ is possible but is not generally used).

-------------------
"Pointer?????"
-Anonymous

-=Xelius=-

[edited by - xelius on March 3, 2003 11:38:38 AM]
-------------------"Pointer?" -Anonymous-=Xelius=-
Most C programs can be compiled on a C++ compiler, with a few exceptions.

Dev-C++ 5 beta is getting pretty good. You should give it a try.

C will be less of a learning curve, and most of what you learn can be applied to C++, but it is a little harder to make stupid mistakes in C++ with it's stricter type checking, enums instead of defines, and templates instead of macros, and you can declare variables just about anywhere rather than the start of functions and globaly. Classes and polymorphism is pretty neat and can save you alot of work, too. If you want to move on to graphics later, I hear DirectX is a pain in C, although OpenGL looks exactly the same. I'd personally recommend C++, but you can start with C if you prefer, it isn't a huge deal.

[edited by - smart_idiot on March 3, 2003 11:41:49 AM]
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
I say it again: C ruins the way you are thinking. It really keeps you from understanding the paradigms of C++. If you want/must code in C, learn it after C++.
quote:Original post by Xelius
Despite whatever difficulty you might have transitioning- just in case the game programmer thing doesn''t work out knowing standard C is good, especially if you have to do any programming in UNIX environments (since they generally don''t like/don''t use C++, at least in my experience). That''s not to say that you shouldn''t learn C++ (since it''s used in many different areas), but I think a good foundation in C is very useful.

And even if the programmer thing does work out, there are plenty of cases where you would use C and not C++, for example on the Game Boy Advance (I know this first-hand...C++ is possible but is not generally used).

I agree. And the thing is: if you go for C, you''ll just have to learn the language; but if you go for C++ you''ll have to learn the language *and* the object-oriented stuff, which is good but i think it''s too much for a newbie.

Victor.

c[_]~~
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Visual Basic... Go back to china you communist bastard!!!
-----------------------Who Flung Poo?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I say it again: C ruins the way you are thinking. It really keeps you from understanding the paradigms of C++. If you want/must code in C, learn it after C++.

I learned C before C++ and it didn''t ruin my way of thinking. Now i''m an OO-lover, i hardly can code non-OO, but still i think C is a good start point, because it''s easier.

Victor.

c[_]~~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement