• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cat_B

SDL, OpenAL or FMOD?

This topic is 5584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m a little lost on which one to use. Any suggestions? I''m not sure how they differ. I want it to add overlapping music and sound effects (mp3,wav, midi etc) to opengl and misc C applications. If the library has the ability to change the tempo (beats per minute),and the format, that would be great. I guess I''d have to ship the libraries with my application, so library size is a concern. I''m definitely no expert, so simplicity & user popularity are very important. Thanx

Advertisement
FMOD is very good, and will do everything you desire. I haven''t tried the other two you mention. There is also BASS just to confound you further.
They''re all free to download so you could try them all. I tend to create a simple wrapper for these things so that I can swap the underlying API out if necessary.
If you are using SDL for graphics, then you might as well use it for audio as well.

[Damn server seems to be playing up again today]

I made a audio manager class around fmod, and i must say its a very clean api and very easy to use.

I suggest you use fmod hands down. OpenAL is just as good, but you just have to do a little more job is all.

Guest Anonymous Poster
SDL is great but the included sound library leaves much to be desired. I use SDL_Mixer. You can find it at the SDL homepage under libraries.

As far as i''m aware, FMOD doesnt support mp3. Other than that, FMOD has been pretty painless for me to use. I began using OpenAL, but it seems to have died, or at least gone quiet recently.

quote:
Original post by shamen
As far as i''m aware, FMOD doesnt support mp3.

Whatever gave you that impression? It sure does.

Just in case you didn''t know, FMOD is not free for commercial use like OpenAL and SDL_Mixer are. Last time I checked you had to pay about $1000 for a license if you plan on selling anything you make with FMOD.. (Thats why I stick to OpenAL and/or SDL_Mixer.)
Same deal with BASS but I think it''s a little cheaper.

openAL is very good, its a little ahrder to use than the other two though. you get more flexibilty too.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!