• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CallMeNeo8Ball

Sky Box vs. Sky Dome

This topic is 5644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m Making a Octree engine based engine and right now I''m using a sky box but it looks like the sky dome is all the rage. But the sky box only use 12 polygons and when rendered before everything else i don''t have to clear the Z buffer or the Screen, mega speed boost. But I''m Looking to have the perfect balance of performance and visual quality. Should i use a sky dome? What advantages dose it have?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster

if youre going for a more dynamic sky, go skydome

Skyboxes are generally for a static texture on the sky. If you plan to have clouds and stars and planets and what not, people go with sky domes.

The way I see it, sky domes are just a tiny bit slower but provide some really worthwhile visual effects. I would go for the sky dome.

What I do looks very good, and is easy to do! I dont use either a sky box or a dome, but a plane with the corners "pulled" down across the sky. Gives it like a parachute appearance.

If you make it large enough, it gives the appearance of a dome, with the ease of texturing a plane. You can get by with a decent looking sky with only 100 vertices (10*10 patch)! (I would recommend more, like a 20*20 patch, but that is your call).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!