Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CallMeNeo8Ball

Sky Box vs. Sky Dome

I''m Making a Octree engine based engine and right now I''m using a sky box but it looks like the sky dome is all the rage. But the sky box only use 12 polygons and when rendered before everything else i don''t have to clear the Z buffer or the Screen, mega speed boost. But I''m Looking to have the perfect balance of performance and visual quality. Should i use a sky dome? What advantages dose it have?

Guest Anonymous Poster

if youre going for a more dynamic sky, go skydome

Skyboxes are generally for a static texture on the sky. If you plan to have clouds and stars and planets and what not, people go with sky domes.

The way I see it, sky domes are just a tiny bit slower but provide some really worthwhile visual effects. I would go for the sky dome.

What I do looks very good, and is easy to do! I dont use either a sky box or a dome, but a plane with the corners "pulled" down across the sky. Gives it like a parachute appearance.

If you make it large enough, it gives the appearance of a dome, with the ease of texturing a plane. You can get by with a decent looking sky with only 100 vertices (10*10 patch)! (I would recommend more, like a 20*20 patch, but that is your call).