Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Winged Angel

OpenGL Headers

I''ve just downloaded the OpenGL SDK from Silicon Graphics -> http://www.berkelium.com/OpenGL/sgi-download.html There are only two headers in there: GL.h and GLU.h . In OpenGL redbook they''ve mencioned two others headers: GLUT.h and GLX.h . It said too, that GLUT.h could be found on the net, but nothing about GLX.h... It has only 2 headers, the OPENGL SDK?

Not sure about glx.h, but glut.h is part of a separate library called the GL Utility Toolkit. It's a cross-platform library for creating OpenGL rendering windows and getting input. Search google for glut to find download links.

And yes, basic OpenGL has just the two headers. You'll need others to access the operating system specific OpenGL calls (eg the functions to create an OpenGL rendering context, in Windows for example those are a bunch of functions starting with wgl), or to use vendor specific extensions, but those aren't strictly part of OpenGL.

Edit: After a quick google it looks like glx.h is part of the X windows specific OpenGL functions. So the functions in glx.h are the ones you would use to create an OpenGL rendering context on most Unix systems.

[edited by - Dobbs on March 3, 2003 3:13:26 PM]

what platform / compiler are you using ... most platforms and compilers already have the base OpenGL headers and platform specific headers installed ...

the only things I had to add when using Visual Studio was GLUT (and GLX if I had used it I guess).