Optimization Techniques

Started by
1 comment, last by sinistrx 21 years, 1 month ago
I have a program I''m currently working on that displays an 8x16 font on the screen with a color and a background color (if anyone here has ever seen ansi art before for BBS''s you know that I''m trying to make a prog to make an ansi scroller for an emag). Currently it runs full framerate on my machine, when I add just a few more quads to the screen though the frame rate starts dropping dramatically though. I''ve made the font and the background color in separate call lists and have tried several optimization techniques (i.e. doing shl''s and shr''s on mult/divs of 8 and 16). Unfortunately I have to use masking for the foreground so I have to write 2 different textures at the same place with the same call list going by nehe''s masking tutorial. Are there any other good methods I should know of on optimizing? I''ve tried to lessen the load as much as possible on each frame but I''m sure that it can be optimized even more since it is currently showing 80x17x3 blocks per scene on the scroller (80 columns x 17 rows x (1 background + the mask + the foreground)).
Advertisement
Side note: Currently the picture takes up 640x272 pixels on the screen on any frame of what if I wrote out to a picture would be a 640x3200 bitmap. I was thinking of maybe taking the output of the whole thing and splitting it up into segments and displaying the outputted textures (there would be more than 50 of these though).
Side note: Currently the picture takes up 640x272 pixels on the screen on any frame of what if I wrote out to a picture would be a 640x3200 bitmap. I was thinking of maybe taking the output of the whole thing and splitting it up into segments and displaying the outputted textures (there would be more than 50 of these though).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement