Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLUT and NeHe for demos

This topic is 5397 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering how practical GLUT or NeHe''s base code was for making demos. I have made a few simple 2D games in DirectX, but have got up to tutorial 25 on NeHe. I''m going to complete NeHe''s tuturials while working through the Red Book 3rd Ed. Now say I wanted to make demos testing new ideas etc like all the intermediate to advanced stuff, like lighting and shadows etc, is GLUT good to use or should i use NeHe''s base class (or just use my own stuff). GLUT seems to hide all the windows stuff leaving me to just worry about the concepts but i''m not sure if programs run slower (slow enough for me to notice). Anyway i''ve probably wrote alot of crap here so i better go before i make it even worse, just looking for opinions

It really depends on what your needs are on the GUI side of things.

If you just need a window to do some OpenGL rendering in then GLUT is entirely sufficient and is in my opinion better since you avoid a lot of code that are aren't needed in your program.

But if you intend to make a GUI with Windows buttons, menues and so on to control your demo you are better off jumping into doing it the win32 way. Nehe's code is a great starting point and allows you to expand it in ways that are convenient for you.

And no, there is no speed difference between GLUT and doing it the win32 way. GLUT is just a wrapper library doing it the win32 way under the hood.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games

[edited by - felonius on March 3, 2003 4:53:28 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Also, with GLUT your code will be platform-independent (unless you use some other platform-specific stuff)...