Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssjeci

3ds max to engine

hi i have a question about exporting 3ds max files to my graphic engine.how do i do it. and how do i import it to my engine.how can i get my 3ds max to get the format of the engine.do i have to write a script in 3ds max.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Have a look at lib3ds.sourceforge.net.
There you may get a library to import 3ds files.

If all you want to do is to read .3ds files then do as the reader above suggests, but if you want more information from MAX transferred to your engine you will have to write a real 3D Studio MAX plugin. Such plugins are written using the 3D Studio Max SDK that comes with MAX. This is a C++ library that allows you (among many other things) to export the geometry and other data in MAX to whatever format you like. Having your own format allows you transfer exactly the info you want to transfer.

Oh and BTW, forget all about reading .MAX files. That format has not been released to the public and it is a waste of time to reverse engineer it.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games

What engine are you using...

I created one with DirectX. I downloaded the Panda exporter with export the mesh to a .x file, w/ all of the textures it uses, and then I used DirectX to render the mesh..... It''s not very many calls... If you decide to go this way... search for DirectX 8 common files... and CD3DMesh...