Game Runs Differently on Different Computers

Started by
1 comment, last by broncosoftcr 21 years, 1 month ago
I'm making a Break Out clone and I'm having a slight problem while I'm developing it. It seems to run different on different computers. When I run it on my desktop (1.3 ghz p4 & XP Pro) it seems to work nearly perfectly and as I have programmed it (Block size is correct, speed of objects, etc.) However, when I run it on my laptop HP 1.5ghz Athlon XP Pro and XP Home it seems to be a little screwy(block size is smaller(looks scrunched) & when the user changes the screen resolution in the game it seems to run faster after the first change). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these differences? When I run it on other desktops/lap tops it seems to run just as well as it does on my desktop. I'm using DirectX 8.0 in this game. [edited by - broncosoftcr on March 3, 2003 6:13:16 PM]
Advertisement
Are you using a timer to control the movement of your game? If you were, the movement from machine to machine would be identical.

Also, graphics will look different at different resolutions.
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
Laptops like to run at a certain resolutions, otherwise the screen has to do some fancy interpolation to look at all presentable. If it''s a crappy video card or matrix driver, this might need to be done in software. The game could actually run faster at 1024x768 than at 800x600.

Are you using virtual time for your physics? If not, this is also a significant source of deviation, as free-running will be different every time - even slightly different on the same computer.

- Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spirit(xBNF)]
[Free C Libraries | zlib ]

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement